This is the current affairs of 5th May 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. In which state of the North-East did large-scale riots break out due to the Scheduled Tribes dispute?
Answer: b. Manipur
2. In which state did the central government take law and order into its own hands using Article 355 of the Constitution?
Answer: b. Manipur
– Manipur is burning due to riots. What is the reason for this, let us know –
Why is Manipur burning?
– There are two groups in Manipur.
– One is the Meitei community (it is the majority)
– The other is the Kuki and Naga Schedule Tribes (ST) of the state.
– The Meitei community wants that they should get Schedule Tribe status.
– While the community included in Schedule Tribe is against it.
– All the controversy is happening on this issue.
– The clashes started after the tribals took out a march against the move to grant ST status to the majority Meitei community.
– Hundreds of houses, churches, temples, vehicles were vandalized or set on fire.
– Many people died.
– Internet is suspended.
– Army and RAF have been deployed.
– CM – N Biren Singh
– Governor – Anusuiya Uikey
– Capital – Imphal
– Neighboring States – Nagaland, Assam and Mizoram
– Border with which country – Myanmar
– When Manipur merged with the Indian Union, Meitei was considered a tribe at that time.
– later when constitutional
– Manipur was controlled by the British in 1891.
– After India’s independence, it was in the form of an independent princely state.
– In 1949, Manipur merged with the Union of India.
– Manipur is kept as a union territory from 1956 to 1972.
– Manipur gets statehood in 1972.
After becoming a state:
– After becoming a state, Manipur was protected under Article 371 of the Constitution, which protects tribal areas in the hill districts.
– Under Article 371C of the Constitution, non-tribal people are not allowed to buy land in the hill districts. (Similar to Article 370 that was revoked in Jammu and Kashmir)
– The hill areas constitute 90% of Manipur, where indigenous tribes reside. There are 34 recognized tribes, categorized as “Any Kuki tribes” and “Any Naga tribes”. Their population is significantly less than 50% of the state’s total population.
– The valley area constitutes 10% of Manipur, where Meitei community people reside. Some of them belong to OBC and some have a Scheduled Caste status. Their population is more than 53% of the state’s total population. They are referred to as Manipuri people in the 22 official languages of the Constitution, and Manipuri language has been given a place in it.
– If you look ethnically, there are Hindus in the valley and an influence of Christianity in the hilly areas.
– Development has not happened equally in the state. Development has reached the valley very well, while development (health, education, and others) has been very low in the hilly areas.
– That’s why it’s called the hill-valley divide.
– 90 percent of the tribal state of Manipur resides in the areas, and only 20 legislators are elected out of the 60 seats in the Assembly because the population is low.
– Whereas 40 members are elected from the valley because the population is higher, even though it is only 10 percent of the area.
– This causes tension in both areas.
Why has the controversy sparked?
– The Meitei community demands to be given the status of a Scheduled Tribe.
– The Meitei community resides in the valley. Their population in Manipur is 64.6%.
– If this happens, then all the rights and protection that are given to the Hill Area Scheduled Tribe, Kuki and Naga, will also be given to the Meitei community.
– People from the Meitei community can buy land in hilly districts.
– In 2013, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs of the central government asked the state whether Meitei should be included in the Scheduled Tribe.
– Now, in 2023, the Manipur High Court has ordered that Meitei be given the status of a Scheduled Tribe.
– The Meitei community argues that before the merger of Manipur state with India in 1949, the Meitei community was recognized as a tribe, and after the merger, its recognition as a tribe was lost.
– After the High Court’s decision, the controversy has sparked.
What does the tribe say?
– The Cookie and Naga Scheduled Tribes say that Meitei is already developed. They have development. Meitei should not be classified as a Scheduled Tribe.
Reason for sudden riots in Manipur
– Actually, the Tribal Student Union organized a rally against the High Court’s decision and the government’s actions.
– During this time, there was a conflict between the Meitei and the tribal community.
Article 355 of the Constitution implemented in Manipur
– This law grants the central government the authority to take all necessary measures to safeguard the state against internal disturbance and external aggression.
– In Manipur, Article 355 has been implemented, which means the government has acknowledged that the state government is unable to maintain law and order.
– The law and order of the state are now in the hands of the central government.
3. Which country honored former Indian Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh with the ‘Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’?
Answer: b. Japan
Why was the honor given?
– They have made a significant contribution to the defense of the nation and strengthening relations between India and Japan. That is why the Japanese government has bestowed this honor upon them.
Admiral Karambir Singh
– He was born on November 3, 1959, in Jalandhar.
– He joined the Indian Navy in 1980.
– In 1981, he got the opportunity to fly the helicopters ‘Chetak’ and ‘Kamov.’
– He was the Chief of Navy from May 2019 to November 2021.
– He has commanded the Indian Coast Guard ship.
Order of Rising Sun
– This is the third highest award given by the Japanese government.
– It was started in 1875.
– This award is given to those who have achieved remarkable accomplishments in promoting Japanese culture, achievements in international relations, progress in their field, and environmental conservation.
– The culture of awarding non-Japanese recipients started in 1981.
Japan at a glance
– Japan is an island country in East Asia.
– It is located in the North-West Pacific Ocean.
– It is bounded by the Sea of Japan in the west and extends from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south.
– The Prime Minister of Japan is Kishada Fumiko.
– Tokyo is the capital of Japan.
– The currency of Japan is yen.
4. Famous actor and director Manobala passed away on 3 May 2023. Which film industry was he from?
Answer: d. Tamil
– They were 69 years old. They passed away on May 3rd in Chennai.
– They had been struggling with liver problems for several days.
Career of Manobala
– They started their career in the cinema industry as a director.
– They were known for their comic roles with senior and young stars.
– In addition, they worked with big stars of the 80s and 90s.
– These included Shivaji Ganesan, Sathyaraj, Rajinikanth, Vijayakanth, Prabhu, Karthik, and Ram.
– Manobala directed 24 films.
– In their career of more than 5 decades, they acted in more than 300 films.
– They have a YouTube channel called ‘West Paper’.
5. When is the International Day of the Midwife celebrated?
a. 2 May
b. 3 May
c. 4 May
d. 5 May
Answer: d. 5 May
– For the first time this day was celebrated in May 1992.
Theme of the year 2023:
‘Together again: from evidence to reality’
6. Which state cabinet approved the Chief Minister’s “Skill Upgradation and Global Employment Scheme”?
d. Uttar Pradesh
Answer: c. Uttarakhand
– Uttarakhand government approved this scheme on 3 May 2023.
– The objective of this scheme is to prepare the youth of the state and prepare them to get jobs in foreign countries.
– Chief Minister: Pushkar Singh Dhami
– Capital: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
– Governor: Gurmeet Singh
7. When is World Hand Hygiene Day celebrated?
a. 2 May
b. 3 May
c. 4 May
d. 5 May
Answer: d. 5 May
– Slogan for World Hand Hygiene Day 2023: “Accelerate action together”
8. What is the India’s rank in the ICC Men’s T20 International Team Rankings (May 2023)?
Answer: a. First
– ICC T20 International Team Rankings released on 2 May 2023.
– In this, India has 13,889 points and 267 ratings in 52 matches.
Top 10 T20 Team
9. What is the India’s rank in the ICC Men’s ODI Team Rankings (May 2023)?
Answer: b. Second
– Australia secured the first position.
– ICC ODI team rankings were released on May 4, 2023.
– Australia has 3,965 points and a rating of 113 in 35 matches.
– India has 5,294 points and a rating of 113 in 47 matches.
Top 10 ODI Teams
10. What is the India’s rank in the ICC Men’s Test Team Rankings (May 2023)?
Answer: a. First
– ICC Test Team Rankings released on 2 May 2023.
– He has 3,031 points and 121 ratings in 25 matches for India.
Top 10 Test team
ICC Women’s Ranking 2023
– In T20I and ODI, Australia is at the first position and India is at the fourth position.