This is the current affairs of 26 & 27 May 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
1. Which state did the central government plan to create strategic petroleum reserves in salt caves?
b. Uttar Pradesh
Answer: c. Rajasthan
– India will also create strategic petroleum reserves in salt mines, similar to the United States.
– The underground oil reserves in the salt mines in the United States are so large that they provide the country with the ability to meet its oil consumption needs and maintain supply in the oil market during challenging times. It also helps prevent a rise in crude oil prices.
– Now, India has also started the effort to create salt mines and establish underground strategic petroleum reserves.
– There are salt deposits beneath the ground in some areas of Rajasthan. That is why the central government has chosen this location.
Cave construction work entrusted to EIL
– The Petroleum Ministry has entrusted Engineers India Limited (EIL) with the task of exploring the possibility of developing salt caves in Rajasthan. So that strategic oil reserves can be made in the caves.
– But India does not have the technology to make a salt cave and keep crude oil in it.
– That’s why EIL has contracted with German company DEEP.KBB GmbH for this.
Why is strategic oil reserve important?
– The price of crude oil has increased since the Russia-Ukraine war.
– Even though India is getting cheap oil from Russia, but this war has also indicated the uncertainties of the future.
– Along with this, strategic oil reserves are very useful to meet the needs of the country during the war.
Strategic oil reserves caves in india
– India’s capacity for strategic petroleum reserves is 5.33 million metric tons of crude oil.
– These reserves can fulfill the country’s oil demand for approximately 9.5 days.
– So far, India has strategic oil reserves in three caves: Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh (1.33 MMT – million metric tons capacity), Mangalore (1.5 MMT) and Padur (2.55 MMT) in Karnataka.
– Additionally, work is underway in the caves of Chandikhol in Odisha (4 MMT) and Padur in Karnataka (2.5 MMT).
Why a salt cave instead of a rock cave?
– Actually, rocky caves are formed through mining. It is very expensive, laborious and time consuming work.
– While salt caves can be made by pumping water with less expense and quicker than rock caves.
– Because of this, the central government has started work on salt caves.
Will the oil dissolve in the salt?
– Salt and crude oil do not mix with each other.
– In such a situation, salt caves are considered very favorable in terms of oil reserves.
– The special thing is that not much is visible on the ground, only the mouths of some wells and pipes are visible.
How salt cave is formed
– Water is pumped into salt deposits underground.
– After this, a salt cave is made by taking out the salt dissolved in the water.
– However, these caves made in salt rocks are not completely stable.
– Their roofs or walls may collapse, causing damage to machinery. In such a situation, the machines have to be kept very carefully.
Note – Ministry of Petroleum Strategic Oil Reserves come under SPV Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
– Petroleum Minister – Hardeep Singh Puri
2. What is the purpose of ‘SAMARTH’ campaign, which was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development?
a. Boost of digital transactions in Gram Panchayats
b. Digital education in gram panchayats
c. Sanitation in Gram Panchayats
d. None of these
Answer: a. Boost of digital transactions in Gram Panchayats
– The objective of the ‘Samarth’ (SAMARTH) campaign is to promote digital transactions in more than 56,000 village panchayats.
– In May 2023, Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Giriraj Singh, and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched this campaign at an event held in Lucknow.
– However, the central government had already announced the initiation of this campaign in February 2023.
– Under this initiative, awareness about digital banking transactions will be increased in the village panchayats.
3. Which country’s parliamentary committee recommended India’s inclusion in ‘NATO Plus’?
Answer: b. USA
– America is now looking at India as a strong partner to rein in and siege China’s bullying in Taiwan.
– The Select Committee of the US Congress (Parliament) [on the subject of China] (China Select Committee of US Congress) has recommended giving ‘NATO Plus’ status to India.
– There are currently five countries in NATO Plus, if the committee’s recommendation is approved, India will become its sixth member.
What is ‘NATO Plus’
– There are 31 member countries in NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization).
– America has created ‘NATO Plus’ organization related to it.
– Countries included in NATO Plus – Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan and South Korea
– America has strategic relations with these countries.
Why does America want to include India?
– The US Congress committee believes that if China attacks Taiwan, then along with giving a strong military response, the role of the Quad (Quadilateral Security Dialogue) also needs to be enhanced.
– The Quad is a cooperative organization of four countries, which includes India, the United States, Australia, and Japan.
– To counter China, America will also need to strengthen its cooperation with the G7 countries.
– For this reason, America wants India to be included in NATO Plus.
– The timing of the committee’s recommendations is crucial because Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the United States is scheduled for June 21.
What benefits will India get?
– Being part of ‘NATO Plus’ provides countries with assistance from the American defense industry and technology.
– India will also benefit from being part of ‘NATO Plus’.
– The United States has already designated India as a Major Defense Partner (MDP), which allows India to export sensitive technology.
– However, joining NATO Plus will provide even greater technological benefits.
Is there any loss?
– While India is a member of the Quad, it does not specifically mention being part of any particular alliance in the world.
– By joining NATO Plus, America would want to use it as a weapon against China’s opposition.
– An example is the case of Ukraine, where the United States couldn’t do much.
What will happen now to join NATO Plus?
– After the committee’s recommendation, the United States will need to include India in the Defense Act and officially establish it as a law to grant India the status of ‘NATO Plus’.
– Then it will require Senate approval and final authorization from the President, which will be issued by President Biden.
4. America did Naval Exercise ‘Tiger Shark 40’ with which neighboring country of India?
c. Sri Lanka
Answer: d. Bangladesh
– This naval exercise started in May 2023 in BNS Nirvik, located in Chattogram, Bangladesh.
– The main objective of the exercise is to enhance the strategic capabilities of both countries and facilitate the exchange of technical knowledge.
– Capital: Dhaka
– Currency: Bangladeshi Taka (BDT)
– Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
5. What is the theme of the eighth Governing Council meeting of NITI Aayog?
a. Viksit Bharat @ 2047: Role of Team India’
b. Vikasshil Bharat : Need of India
c. Viksit Bharat @ 2050
d. None of these
Answer: a. ‘Viksit Bharat @ 2047: Role of Team India’
– The eighth meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog took place at the Convention Center in Pragati Maidan, Delhi.
– 100 issues were identified for this meeting. There are 8 key subjects among them:
(i) Viksit Bharat @ 2047
(ii) Emphasis on MSME development
(iii) Infrastructure and investment
(iv) Timely implementation of projects
(v) Women empowerment
(vi) Health and nutrition
(vii) Skill development
(viii) Momentum for regional development and social foundational frameworks
8 Chief Ministers decided not to participate in the meeting:
– Arvind Kejriwal of Delhi
– Bhagwant Mann of Punjab
– Mamata Banerjee of West Bengal
– Nitish Kumar of Bihar
– K. Chandrashekhar Rao of Telangana
– M.K. Stalin of Tamil Nadu
– Pinarayi Vijayan of Kerala
– Naveen Patnaik of Odisha
What is NITI Aayog?
– The Planning Commission was established in 1950.
– The Commission’s task was to assess the country’s resources and prepare the Five-Year Plans, after which the budget was allocated.
– In 2014, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the discontinuation of the Planning Commission and the introduction of NITI Aayog.
– NITI Aayog was established on January 1, 2015.
– The work of NITI Aayog is to advise the central government on economic and social issues.
– The first meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog took place on February 8, 2015.
– The Chairman of NITI Aayog is Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
– Dr. Rajiv Kumar serves as the Vice Chairman.
6. When will Nepal’s Prime Minister Prachanda undertake his first foreign trip to India?
a. May 30 to June 3
b. May 31 to June 3
c. June 1 to June 3
d. June 3 to June 6
Answer: b. May 31 to June 3
– Pushpa Kamal Dahal assumed the position of the new Prime Minister of Nepal in December 2022.
– This will be Dahal’s first bilateral foreign trip after becoming the Prime Minister.
– Dahal said to the media, “I am undertaking this journey to India with the belief that a new history will be created. Nepal-India relations will be taken to new heights.”
7. The world’s first Greenhouse Gas (GHG) monitoring initiative has been approved by the Congress of which international organization?
Answer: a. WMO (World Meteorological Organization)
– According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the World Congress of Weather and Climate Science has approved a new greenhouse gas (GHG) monitoring initiative.
– Through this initiative, monitoring of greenhouse gas emissions and their status will be conducted among the 193 members of the WMO worldwide.
– Surface-based and satellite-based monitoring will be carried out for CO2, CH4, and N2O.
– Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
– President: Gerhard Adrian
– Part of which UN body: United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
8. Where is the inauguration of the Khelo India University Games 2022 (held in 2023) held?
Answer: c. Lucknow
– The Khelo India University Games 2022 (held in 2023) are being organized in Uttar Pradesh.
– The inaugural ceremony took place in Lucknow on May 25, 2023.
– More than 4,000 athletes from over 207 universities across the country participated in the event.
– The University Games will span over a period of 12 days.
Khelo India University Games 2022 (held in 2023):
– mascot : Jeetu Barasingha
– Anthem: “Khelo India – Har Dil Mein Desh” (Singer: Palash Sen)
9. Tina Turner passed away on 24 May 2023, why was she famous?
d. Social service
Answer: a. Singing
– The popular singer and stage performer of the 1960s and 1970s, Tina Turner, passed away on May 24 in Switzerland.
– She was 83 years old.
– Tina Turner was a prominent name in the music industry.
– She was known as the “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll.”
– Tina Turner was not just a singer but also an actress. She had acted in some films.
10. When is the death anniversary of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru?
a. 26 May
b. 27 May
c. 28 May
d. 29 May
Answer: b. 27 May
– Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru passed away on May 27, 1964.
– He was born on November 14, 1889.
– Pandit Nehru took charge of the country during a time when India was grappling with issues like famine, poverty, and illiteracy.
– Nehru is praised for his role in the reconstruction of India.
– In 1955, Pandit Nehru was honored with India’s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna.
– He was also considered the prominent voice of developing nations.