This is the current affairs of 26-27 March 2023 Current Affairs, which will help you in your competitive exams.
1. Who became the first champion team of Women’s Premier League (WPL 2023)?
a. Delhi Capitals
b. Gujarat Titans
c. Royal Challengers
d. Mumbai Indians
Answer: d. Mumbai Indians
– Mumbai Indians won the first Women’s Premier League (WPL) title.
– In the final, Mumbai Indians defeated Delhi Capitals by 7 wickets.
– The winning team received a prize money of 6 crores rupees.
– Delhi Capitals, who finished in second place, received 3 crores rupees, while Uttar Pradesh Warriors, who finished in third place, received 1 crore rupees.
– Captain of Mumbai Indians: Harmanpreet Kaur
WPL 2023 Awards:
– Player of the Match (Final): Natalie Seiver (Mumbai Indians)
– Catch of the Season: Harmanpreet Kaur (Mumbai Indians)
– Most Valuable Player: Hayley Matthews (Mumbai Indians)
– Emerging Player: Yastika Bhatia (Mumbai Indians)
– Orange Cap: Meg Lanning (Delhi Capitals)
2. Who became the boxer to win the gold medal for the second consecutive year in the World Women’s Boxing Championship?
a. Nikhat Zareen
b. Saweety Boora
c. Neetu Ghanghas
d. Sarita Devi
Answer: a. Nikhat Zareen
Won Gold in which weight category?
– Nikhat Zareen won this victory in the 50 KG weight category.
– She defeated Vietnamese player Nguyen Thi Tam.
– The World Women’s Boxing Championship 2023 was held in Delhi.
– India’s star boxer Nikhat Zareen has won a consecutive second gold medal in the championship.
– The first gold medal was in the year 2022 and the second in the year 2023.
– She has become the second Indian boxer to do so. Before her, Mary Kom has achieved this feat.
– World Championship: 2 Golds (2022-23)
– Commonwealth Games: 1 Gold
– Asian Championship: 1 Bronze
– World Junior and Youth Championship: 1 Gold and 1 Silver
3. In which weight category Neetu Ghanghas won the gold medal in the World Women’s Boxing Championship 2023?
a. 42 kilograms
b. 48 kilograms
c. 58 kilograms
d. 81 kilograms
Answer: b. 48 kilograms
– Haryana’s boxer Neetu won a gold medal in the 48 kg category.
– She defeated Mongolia’s Lutsaikhan Altantsetseg in the final.
– Commonwealth Games: 1 gold (2022)
– Strandja Memorial Boxing Tournament: 1 gold (2022)
– Youth Women’s World Boxing Championship: 2 golds (2017 and 2018)
– Asian Youth Championship: 1 gold (2018)
4. In which weight category did Sweety Boora win the gold medal in the World Women’s Boxing Championship 2023?
a. 42 kgs
b. 48 kgs
c. 58 kgs
d. 81 kgs
Answer: d. 81 kilograms
– Sweety Boora defeated China’s Wang Li 4-3 in the final of the 81kg weight category.
– She is from Haryana.
– Sweety Boora was a state-level kabaddi player, but at the advice of her farmer father, she turned towards boxing.
– In 2009, at the age of 15, Boora joined a boxing training center for the first time.
5. ISRO launched 36 satellites of British company Oneweb with India’s powerful rocket, name this rocket?
d. None of these
Answer: b. LVM-3
– ISRO launched 36 satellites of British company OneWeb together.
– Their launch was carried out on March 26, 2023, from the Satish Dhawan Space Center, Sriharikota.
– The total weight of all the sent satellites is 5805 kilograms.
– This mission was launched by the LVM-3 rocket.
– This mission was named LVM3-M3/OneWeb India-2.
– It was completed through ISRO’s commercial unit NewSpace India Limited (NSIL).
– Prior to this, satellites were also sent on October 23, 2022.
LVM-3: Launch Vehicle Mark 3
– It is ISRO’s heaviest rocket.
– Its previous name was GSLV MK-III (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark 3).
– Its name was changed to LVM-3 in October 2022.
– The rocket is 43.5 meters long.
– It can lift the weight of 8000-kilogram satellites.
– Five successful missions, including the Chandrayaan-2 mission, have been continuously launched by LVM3. – This is its sixth successful flight.
– OneWeb is a UK-based communication company.
– Its headquarters is in London.
– It is jointly owned by the British government, India’s – Bharti Enterprises, France’s Eutelsat, Japan’s SoftBank, America’s Hughes Network Systems, and South Korean defense company Hanwha.
– It is a satellite-based service provider.
Goal of OneWeb:
– The goal of OneWeb is to launch 648 satellites into Low Earth Orbit (LEO).
– So that the satellite-based internet can be made available worldwide.
– Out of these, ISRO has sent 36 satellites, and many other satellites have been sent by other agencies.
Low Earth Orbit is the lowest layer of the Earth’s atmosphere:
– Low Earth Orbit is the lowest layer of the Earth’s atmosphere.
– Its altitude is between 1600 km to 2000 km around the Earth.
– Any object in this orbit moves at a speed of 27,000 km/hour.
– This is why satellites in LEO move quickly, and targeting them is not easy.
– Establishment: August 15, 1969
– Chairman: S. Somnath
6. With which African country did India sign an agreement for the use of its currencies in trade?
Answer: a. Tanzania:
– India and Tanzania have signed an agreement to establish trade in their respective currencies, the – Tanzanian shilling and the Indian rupee.
– This means that trade between the two countries will no longer be conducted in dollars.
– Now, India and Tanzania will use their national currencies in mutual trade.
– RBI has given its approval for this.
– Tanzanian banks will now be able to open Vostro accounts in Indian banks, which will facilitate business between the two countries.
– Imports and exports between both countries will now be possible in their respective currencies.
Imports from Tanzania to India:
– Minerals, especially gold, and agricultural products
Exports from India to Tanzania:
– Petroleum products, pharmaceuticals, and engineering goods
Business between Tanzania and India:
– In the financial year 2021-22, India’s export to Tanzania was $2.3 billion, and Tanzania’s export to India was $2.2 billion.
– Capital: Dodoma
– President: Samia Suluhu Hassan
– Currency: Tanzanian shilling
7. When is the Purple Day of Epilepsy Awareness observed?
a. March 25
b. March 26
c. March 27
d. March 28
Answer: b. March 26
– Purple Day is an international awareness day dedicated to increasing awareness about epilepsy and reducing the stigma around this neurological disorder.
– Epilepsy, also known as seizures, is a condition that is related to the central nervous system, which is the main neural system in the brain. As a result, patients may experience seizures, lose consciousness, or exhibit abnormal behavior for some time.
8. Name the winner of the Abel Award 2023, an honor in the field of Mathematics?
a. Rakhi Nagar
b. SR Srinivasa Vardhan
c. Luis Caffarelli
d. None of these
Answer: c. Louis Caffarelli
– He is a professor at Texas University.
He was awarded for his contribution in non-linear partial differential equations and free-boundary problems in mathematics.
– This most prestigious award in mathematics is considered equivalent to the Nobel Prize.
– The Abel Prize was established in honor of the renowned mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.
– The Norwegian government started this award in 2001 and the first award was given to Jean-Pierre Serre in 2003.
– The winner of the award is given a medal along with a cash prize of INR 4.72 crores.
9. NGT imposed a fine of Rs 10 crore on which state government for failing to protect the Ramsar site?
b. Madhya Pradesh
Answer: d. Kerala
– The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has imposed a fine of 10 crore rupees on the Kerala government while holding it guilty of failing to control pollution in the Vembanad Lake.
– The NGT has imposed this fine due to the failure to prevent pollution in the Vembanad Lake.
– It was included in the Ramsar Site in 2022.
– This is a large lake in Kerala.
– It is formed by four rivers: Meenachil, Achankovil, Pampa, and Manimala.
– Total Ramsar Sites in the country: 75 (as of March 2023)
Why is it called Ramsar Site?
– Ramsar is a city in Iran.
– The Ramsar Convention on Wetlands was signed by various countries of the world on February 2, 1971, in Ramsar.
– Therefore, it is called the Ramsar Convention. Some people also call this convention the Wetland Convention.
It came into effect in 1975.
– Its formal name is the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance, especially as Waterfowl Habitat.
– It is an intergovernmental treaty that provides guidance on the conservation and wise use of wetlands.
– India signed this convention in 1982.
– The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is the nodal ministry in India for the protection of wetlands.
Total Ramsar Sites in the Country: 75 (until March 2023)
– Asthamudi Wetland, Kerala
– Beas Conservation Reserve, Punjab
– Bhitarkanika Mangroves, Odisha
– Bhoj Wetlands, Madhya Pradesh
– Chandertal Wetlands, Himachal Pradesh
– Chilika Lake, Odisha
– Deepor Beel, Assam
– East Kolkata Wetlands, West Bengal
– Harike Lake, Punjab
– Hokera Wetlands, Jammu and Kashmir
– Kanjli Wetlands, Punjab
– Keoladeo Ghana NP, Rajasthan
– Keshopur-Miani Community Reserve, Punjab
– Kolleru Lake, Andhra Pradesh
– Loktak Lake, Manipur
– Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary, Gujarat
– Nandur Madhmeshwar, Maharashtra
– Nangal Wildlife Sanctuary, Punjab
– Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Parvati Agra Bird Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Point Calimere Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Pong Dam Lake, Himachal Pradesh
– Renuka Wetland, Himachal Pradesh
– Ropar Lake, Punjab
– Rudrasagar Lake, Tripura
– Saman Bird Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Samaspur Bird Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Sambhar Lake, Rajasthan
– Sandi Bird Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Sarus Crane Reserve, Uttar Pradesh
– Sasthamkotta Lake, Kerala
– Sundarbans Wetland, West Bengal
– Surinsar-Mansar Lakes, Jammu and Kashmir
– Tso Moriri Lake, Jammu and Kashmir
– Upper Ganga River, Uttar Pradesh
– Vembanad Kol Wetland, Kerala
– Wular Lake, Jammu and Kashmir
– Asan Conservation Reserve, Uttarakhand
– Kabartal (Kanwar Lake), Bihar
– Keetham Lake (Sur Sarovar), Uttar Pradesh
– Lonar Lake, Maharashtra
– Tso Kar and Tso Moriri Lakes, Ladakh
– Sultanpur National Park, Haryana
– Bhindawas Wildlife Sanctuary, Haryana
– Thol Bird Sanctuary, Gujarat
– Vadhwana Wetland, Gujarat
– Haidarpur Wetland, Uttar Pradesh
– Khijadiya Bird Sanctuary, Gujarat
– Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary, Uttar Pradesh
– Karikili Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Pallikaranai Marsh Reserve Forest, Tamil Nadu
– Pitchavaram Mangrove, Tamil Nadu
– Pala Wetland, Mizoram
– Sakya Sagar Wetland, Madhya Pradesh
– Kunthakulam Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Satkosia Gorge, Odisha
– Nanda Lake, Goa
– Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve, Tamil Nadu
– Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka
– Vembanad Wetland Complex, Tamil Nadu
– Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Sirpur Wetland, Madhya Pradesh
– Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Udayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Tampara Lake, Odisha
– Hirakud Reservoir, Odisha
– Ansupa Lake, Odisha
– Yashwant Sagar, Madhya Pradesh
– Chitrangudi Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Suchindram Theroor Wetland Complex, Tamil Nadu
– Vaduvoor Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Kanjirakulam Bird Sanctuary, Tamil Nadu
– Thane Creek, Maharashtra
– Highgam Wetland Conservation Reserve, Jammu and Kashmir
– Shalbug Wetland Conservation Reserve, Jammu and Kashmir
10. Which state-owned bank sold its stake in the Russian project to SBI?
a. Bank of Baroda
b. Canara Bank
c. Punjab National Bank
d. UCO Bank
Answer: b. Canara Bank
– Canara Bank has sold its stake in the joint venture “Commercial Indo Bank LLC” (CIBL) operated in Russia to State Bank of India for approximately INR 121.29 crore.
– CIBL was established in Russia in 2003.
– 60% of the stake in CIBL was already with SBI, while – Canara Bank had a 40% stake.
– Canara Bank has reached an agreement to sell its stake to SBI.
– Established: 1906