This is the current affairs of 24th March 2023 Current Affairs, which will help you in your competitive exams.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Which neighboring country started its first submarine base with the help of China?
Answer: b. Bangladesh
– Bangladesh has started a modern submarine base with state-of-the-art facilities to provide safe jetty facilities for submarines and warships in March 2023.
– This submarine base, built with the help of China, has been established in the Pekua area of Cox’s Bazar.
– Its name is ‘BNS Sheikh Hasina’.
– Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated it on March 20, 2023.
– Cost of the submarine base: 1.21 billion dollars
– Capacity: Deployment of six submarines and eight warships.
Concern for India
– In the Bay of Bengal, this submarine base will provide safe and fast communication for the Pandubbiyas during emergencies, but it is being seen as a concern for India.
– In fact, in 2016, Xi Jinping visited Bangladesh. This was the first visit to Bangladesh by a Chinese President.
– During this visit, Bangladesh purchased two submarines from China.
– At the same time, China promised to build a submarine base for Bangladesh, which was completed in March 2023.
– In the past 14 years, a total of 31 warships, including 4 frigates, 6 corvettes, 4 large patrol craft, 5 patrol craft, and 2 training vessels, have been included in Bangladesh’s fleet.
– Bangladesh is a friendly country of India.
– However, their connection to China could pose difficulties for India.
– Through this base, China can spy on the Indian Navy.
– China wants to establish a presence in the Bay of Bengal so that it can use the strategy of putting pressure on India when needed.
– PM – Sheikh Hasina
– President – Shahabuddin Chuppu
– Capital – Dhaka
– Currency – Taka
2. The training exercise AFINDEX-2023 was held in Pune between the armies of India and the countries of which continent?
c. South America
Answer: b. Africa
– AFINDEX – Africa-India Field Training Exercise
– The purpose of this exercise is to strengthen military relations between India and Africa.
– It focuses on human mine assistance and United Nations peacekeeping operations.
– It was organized in Pune.
– 23 countries from India and Africa participated in it.
– This exercise was nine days long from March 21 to March 29, 2023.
– The armies of which African countries participated – Botswana, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Seychelles, Senegal, Sudan, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
– This exercise was first organized in March 2019.
– It was organized again in March 2023.
Indian Army Chief – General Manoj Pandey
CDS – General Anil Chauhan
3. The multilateral naval exercise ‘La Perouse 2023’ (LA PEROUSE) took place between India and which countries?
a. Australia and France
b. Japan and America
c. United Kingdom
d. All of the above
Answer: d. All of the above (Australia, France, Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom)
– The Multilateral (Multiphase) Naval Exercise La Pérouse was organized on 13 and 14 March 2023.
– This was the third edition of this exercise.
– It was held in the Indian Ocean region.
– The navies of Australia, France, Japan, the United States, and the United Kingdom participated in it.
– The Indian Navy participated with its guided missile destroyer INS Sahyadri and fleet tanker INS Jyoti.
– Chief of the Indian Navy – Admiral R. Hari Kumar.
4. Indian Navy launched the second ship of the Anti Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft (ASWC) project ‘Androth’ in which river?
Answer: b. Hooghly
– This is an anti-submarine warfare Shalo Watercraft.
– The Shalo Watercraft ‘Androth’ is named after the Androth Island in Lakshadweep, which is strategically important.
– The vessel was constructed by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, Kolkata.
– It was launched on March 21, 2023, in the Hooghly River. This is called a “Jalavatan” (water launch).
Its trial will be conducted in the Hooghly River and the Indian Ocean for the next few months, after which the Indian Navy will officially include it in its fleet.
– These “silent hunters” will make it easier for the Indian Navy to track enemy submarines along coastal borders.
Under which project was it constructed?
– The ASW Shalo Watercraft (ASWC) was constructed under the ASW Project.
– In April 2019, a total of eight vessels were assigned to Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata for construction under this project.
The first vessel under this project, Aruna, was launched in December 2022.
Which vessel will it replace?
– It will replace the new entry submarine vessel “Abhay Class Corvettes”.
5. Which Indian industrialist was inducted into the ‘Order of Australia’?
a. Ratan Tata
b. Mukesh Ambani
c. Kumar Mangalam Birla
d. Gautam Adani
Answer: a. Ratan Tata
– Governor General David Hurley of Australia made this announcement.
– Ratan Tata has been appointed in the ‘Order of Australia’ for his distinguished service in Australia-India relations, particularly in trade, investment, and philanthropy.
– ‘Order of Australia’ is a list that is recognized as a special honor.
– Governor General – David Hurley
– Prime Minister – Anthony Albanese
– Capital – Canberra
– Currency – Australian dollar
6. Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director and CEO of Invest India by the Central Government?
a. Manmeet K Nanda
b. Mukesh Kejriwal
c. Rakesh Verma
d. Akshay Singh Rawat
Answer: a. Manmeet K Nanda
– The Ministry of Commerce and Industry has issued a statement providing information about it.
– Manmeet Kaur Nanda was previously a joint secretary in the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
– She is an IAS officer of the West Bengal cadre.
About Invest India:
– The central government established it under the Ministry of Finance, Department of Commerce and Industry in 2009.
– It is a non-profit organization.
– Its objective is to encourage and assist investors in doing business in India.
– Central Minister for Commerce and Industry – Piyush Goyal
– Finance Minister – Nirmala Sitharaman
7. Name the winner of the Sangita Kalanidhi Award for the year 2023?
a. Rukmani Devi
b. Bombay Jayshree
d. Uday Shankar
Answer: b. Bombay Jayshree
– She has been given this award for her outstanding contribution to Karnataka music.
– This award is considered the highest honor in the field of Karnataka music.
– This award is presented by the Madras Music Academy.
– Bombay Jayashri has also received the Padma Shri award.
8. For which time did Pankaj Advani win the Asian Billiards Championship?
Answer: d. 8
– Pankaj Advani won the 19th Asian 100 UP Billiards Championship 2022 in March 2023.
– This is his eighth Asian and 24th international title.
– The championship final was held on 19 March in Doha, the capital of Qatar.
– Pankaj Advani retained his Asian title by defeating India’s Brijesh Damani.
9. When is World Tuberculosis Day observed?
a. March 26
b. March 25
c. March 24
d. March 23
Answer: c. March 24
– Theme for the year 2023: ‘Yes! We can end TB!’
– This day is declared by the United Nations.
– This day is celebrated to create awareness among the public about efforts to eradicate the disease.
– On March 24, 1882, German physician and microbiologist Robert Koch discovered the bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes tuberculosis.
– His discovery proved helpful in the treatment of tuberculosis.
– According to WHO, every day, around 4,000 people die due to TB, and 28,000 people are affected by this disease.
10. Martyr’s Day is observed on March 23 to remember the martyrdom of which revolutionaries?
a. Bhagat Singh, Chandrashekhar Azad and Rajguru
b. Ram Prasad Bismil, Chandrashekhar Azad and Rajguru
c. Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru
d. Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Chandrashekhar Azad
Answer: c. Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru
– March 23 is observed as Martyrdom Day in remembrance of the great revolutionaries Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Rajguru.
– During the British rule in Lahore (Pakistan), Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, and Sukhdev were hanged on March 23, 1931.
– Since then, March 23 is observed as Martyrdom Day across the country.
11. When is World Meteorological Day celebrated?
a. March 20
b. March 21
c. March 22
d. March 23
Answer: c. March 23