This is the current affairs of 21 & 22 May 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
1. PM Modi visited which country in the South Pacific Ocean in May 2023, where the Prime Minister welcomed him by breaking protocol and tradition?
a. New zealand
b. Papua New Guinea
Answer: b. Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea
– It is a country located in the South Pacific Ocean.
– It shares a land border with Indonesia.
– PM: James Marape
– Capital: Port Moresby
– Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
– Population: Approximately 7 million
Breaking tradition to welcome
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Papua New Guinea on May 21, 2023.
– He is the first Indian Prime Minister to visit this country.
– The government there broke its tradition to welcome PM Modi.
– In fact, after sunset, foreign guests are not traditionally welcomed with official honors in this country.
– However, considering the importance of India, the government there made this decision.
– In the capital, Port Moresby, PM James Marape welcomed PM Modi.
– Marape welcomed Modi by touching his feet.
2. In which country did PM Modi participate in the summit of FIPIC (Forum for India Pacific Island Co-operation)?
a. New zealand
b. Papua New Guinea
Answer: b. Papua New Guinea
FIPIC: Forum for India-Pacific Island Cooperation
– It is a multinational group of 14 island countries in the Pacific Ocean and India.
– It includes India, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.
– These countries are small in size but hold significant strategic importance.
Under which policy did India establish FIPIC?
– It is part of India’s Act East Policy.
– FIPIC (Forum for India-Pacific Island Cooperation) was established in 2014.
– The first summit took place on November 19, 2014, in Suva, the capital of Fiji.
– It is also seen as a response to China’s growing influence in the Pacific region.
– The 2023 summit is taking place at a time when China is attempting to increase its military and strategic influence in the region.
What happened at the FIPIC Summit?
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighted the importance of a free and open Indo-Pacific for Pacific Islands countries.
– He mentioned that the Quad (India, Japan, Australia, and the US) is working in this direction.
– We believe in multilateralism; we support a free, open, and inclusive Indo-Pacific and respect the sovereignty and integrity of all countries.
– India is ready to share cooperation in various sectors without any hesitation, such as digital technology, space technology, health security, food security, climate change, and environmental conservation.
3. PM Modi and President Zelensky met for the first time after the start of the Russia-Ukraine war at the summit of which international group?
Answer: b. G7
– During the G7 Summit in Hiroshima, Japan, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2023.
– It was the first meeting between the two leaders since the start of the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
– However, Modi and Zelensky had been in contact over the phone for the past 15 months during the ongoing conflict.
– During the meeting, Prime Minister Modi told Zelensky that the Ukraine conflict is not just an issue of economy and politics but a humanitarian issue. India is ready to take every step to end this conflict.
– Capital – Kyiv
– Currency – Hryvnia
4. In which city was the QUAD summit held after its cancellation in Sydney?
Answer: b. Hiroshima
Under Biden, the summit shifted from Australia to Japan
– Initially, this meeting was supposed to take place in Sydney, Australia. However, due to the economic crisis in the United States (issues with the credit limit), American President Joe Biden canceled his visit to Sydney.
– The U.S. Treasury Department had issued a warning this month that if the limit on U.S. government debt is not increased, the country could default by June 1.
– Considering this, it was decided to hold the Quad meeting during the G7 Summit in Japan.
Organization of India, US, Japan, and Australia to restrain China
– The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, or Quad, is a strategic alliance between four countries: the United States, India, Japan, and Australia.
– It was formed in 2007.
– The objective of the Quad is to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific region, spanning from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.
5. Which country will host the QUAD summit in the year 2024?
Answer: c. India
– During the Quad Summit held in Hiroshima in 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “We would be delighted to host the Quad Summit in India in the year 2024.”
– We are in agreement that the security and success of the Indo-Pacific region are not only important for this region but also for the world.
6. Tell the value of defense production in the financial year 2022-23?
a. Rs 95,000 crore
b. Rs 1,06,800 crore
c. Rs 85,000 crore
d. Rs 90,000 crore
Answer: b. Rs 1,06,800 crore ($12 billion)
– The value of defense production in the country has reached Rs. 1,06,800 crore for the first time. This figure is for the financial year 2022-23.
– After the data from some private defense companies is received, there is an expectation of further growth in this figure.
– This information has been provided by the Ministry of Defense.
– This figure will increase further after the data from the private defense industries is received.
– In the previous financial year 2021-22, this figure was recorded as Rs. 95,000 crore in value.
7. What is the percentage growth in defense production in the financial year 2022-2023?
Answer: a. 12%
– In the financial year 2022-2023, the value of defense production has increased by 12 percent compared to the financial year 2021-2022.
– In the financial year 2021-2022, it was Rs. 95,000 crore, while this year it has seen an increase of Rs. 11,800 crore.
8. How much was India’s defense export in the financial year 2022-2023?
a. 160 billion Rupee
b. 100 billion Rupee
c. 90 billion Rupee
d. 120 billion Rupee
Answer: a. 160 billion rupees (160 billion rupees) (16,000 crore rupees)
– India’s defense exports have increased by 24 percent in the previous financial year.
– The Ministry of Defense stated that the number of defense industry licenses has nearly tripled in the past few years.
– India’s defense exports have also grown by 24 percent in the previous financial year, reaching approximately 160 billion rupees (16,000 crore rupees).
– In the past decade, India has become the world’s largest importer of weapons.
– The government has expressed its efforts to reduce dependence on imports from countries like Russia.
What does India export?
– Dornier-228 aircraft, artillery guns, BrahMos missiles produced under a joint venture with Russia, radars, armored vehicles, rocket and launchers, ammunition, and other equipment.
9. Who took oath as the new Chief Minister of Karnataka?
a. Mallikarjun Kharge
c. D K Shivakumar
d. Rahul Ramaiah
Answer: b. Siddaramaiah
– On May 19, 2023, Siddaramaiah took oath as the Chief Minister of Karnataka.
– D.K. Shivakumar was appointed as the Deputy Chief Minister.
– Governor – Thawar Chand Gehlot
– Capital – Bangalore
10. When is International Biodiversity Day observed?
a. 20 May
b. 21 May
c. 22 May
d. 23 May
Answer: c. 22 May
Theme 2023 :
– From Agreement to Action: Build Back Biodiversity
11. When is Anti-terrorism day celebrated?
a. 21 May
b. 22 May
c. 23 May
d. 24 May
Answer: a. 21 May
– Terrorism Prevention Day is observed on the martyrdom anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
– On October 31, 1984, while addressing a rally in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, a woman detonated an explosive on her body.
– As she bent down to touch Rajiv Gandhi’s feet, there was a powerful explosion, resulting in the death of approximately 25 people, including Rajiv Gandhi.
– According to reports, the woman who turned herself into a human bomb had connections with the terrorist organization LTTE.