This is the current affairs of 21st March 2023. Here are 11 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Which is the happiest country in the world according to ‘World Happiness Index 2023’?
Answer: c. Finland
This report was released by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network of the United Nations.
– It evaluates happiness based on GDP, social support, life expectancy, personal freedom, generosity, experience of corruption, and dystopia.
– Finland has been consistently ranked as the happiest country in the world for the sixth year in a row.
– USA: 15
– Germany: 16
– UK: 19
– France: 21
– Japan: 47
2. What is the ranking of India in the ‘World Happiness Index 2023’ released by the United Nations?
Answer: d. 126
– India is ranked at 126th place.
– This rank indicates that India is among the less happy countries in the world.
– It is behind its neighboring countries such as Nepal, – China, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Afghanistan is at the bottom of the list at 137th place.
India’s neighboring countries:
– China: 64
– Nepal: 78
– Bangladesh: 102
– Pakistan: 108
– Myanmar: 72
– Afghanistan: 137
3. Which country’s Prime Minister reached Delhi in March 2023 and invited India as a guest country at the G7 Summit?
d. new zealand
Answer: b. Japan
– Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida arrived in New Delhi on March 20, 2023 for a 2-day visit to India.
– Japanese Prime Minister Kishida said, “Today, I invited PM Modi for the G-7 summit to be held in Hiroshima and he has accepted it.”
– In the year 2023, Japan is president of G7 and India is president of G20.
– The visit of the Japanese Prime Minister will provide an opportunity for both countries to bring cooperation between G20 and G7.
– Where will the G7 summit be held in Japan – Hiroshima?
– It was here that the United States dropped the atomic bomb “Little Boy” on August 6, 1945 during World War II.
– Three days later, the United States dropped the atomic bomb “Fat Man” on the city of Nagasaki.
Now, the level of radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki is very low. It does not have any effect on the human body.
– G7 members: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the USA
– It is a group of the world’s most advanced economies.
4. On which neighboring planet of Earth, scientists found an active volcano for the first time?
Answer: c. Venus
– Scientists got a hint of this in the year 2020, but now in the year 2023, its evidence has been found.
– It is the closest planet to Earth.
– It is also considered as Earth’s twin.
– Venus’ radius is slightly smaller than Earth’s.
– Venus’ radius is 6051.8 km and Earth’s is 6378.1 km.
One year on Venus is equivalent to 225 days on Earth.
– It is a terrestrial planet. There are only four terrestrial (rocky) planets in the Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.
– They are called terrestrial (rocky) because they have a compact, rocky surface like Earth’s lithosphere.
Active volcano on Venus:
– Scientists have believed for the past three decades that the Venus planet is geologically dead. However, new research has refuted this idea.
– Scientists have discovered that a volcano is still active on the planet’s surface.
What changes have been observed in the volcano
– NASA has stated that researchers have observed a change in the shape of the upper portion of a volcano.
Its size has increased in nearly eight months.
– Previously, the diameter of this volcano was 2.6 kilometers, but photographs taken after eight months revealed that it has expanded to 3.9 kilometers.
– Magma explosions and flow were detected beneath its vent.
– Scientists have also created a model of this volcano using a computer.
Importance of an active volcano
– Actually, volcanoes work like windows to provide information about the internal conditions of a planet.
– This can provide new opportunities for scientists to understand not only Venus but also the geographical conditions of other outer planets.
– In addition, this discovery provides a glimpse of information about Venus because in the next decade, three new Venus missions will be launched, including the European EnVision Orbiter and the NASA’s DAVINCI+ and VERITAS missions.
– Both the HERA and VERITAS missions are part of this.
5. When is International Happiness Day celebrated?
a. March 19
b. March 20
c. March 21
d. March 22
Answer: b. March 20
– The United Nations had declared this day in the year 2022.
– The theme for 2023 is: Be Mindful. Be Grateful. Be Kind.
6. When is World Poetry Day celebrated?
a. March 24
b. March 23
c. March 22
d. March 21
Answer: d. March 21
– The announcement to celebrate this day was made at the 30th session of UNESCO held in Paris in the year 1999.
– The objective of this day is to honor the creative power of poetry and poets.
7. When is World Down Syndrome Day observed?
a. March 22
b. March 21
c. March 23
d. March 20
Answer: b. March 21
– This day was first celebrated in the United Nations in the year 2012.
– Named after British physician John Langdon Down who first described the syndrome in 1866, Down – Syndrome is the name of the syndrome.
– The theme for the year 2023 is ‘With Us Not For Us’.
– Down Syndrome is categorized as a genetic disorder.
8. Who will become the new Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL)?
a. G. Krishnakumar
b. Arun Kumar Singh
c. vishal paswan
d. Alakh Pratap
Answer: a. G. Krishnakumar
– Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) is a ‘Maharatna’ company.
– In March 2023, G. Krishnakumar was appointed as the new CMD.
– The Indian government acquired this company on January 24, 1976, under the name Burma Shell Company.
– On August 1, 1977, the name was changed to Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
– Headquarters: Mumbai.
9. Who has been appointed as the new Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) by the Central Government?
a. Alakh Pratap
b. Arun Kumar Singh
c. vishal paswan
d. Lalit Kumar Gupta
Answer: d. Lalit Kumar Gupta
– This decision was made by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
– CCI is a public sector company under the Ministry of Textiles.
The Cotton Corporation of India (CCI)
– Headquarters: Mumbai
– Established: 1970
10. In which city the Global Millet Conference 2023 was organized, which was inaugurated by PM Modi?
Answer: b. Delhi
– This event took place on March 18, 2023 in New Delhi.
– The conference was named “Global Millets (Shri Anna) Conference”.
– The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets (IYoM).
– This announcement was based on India’s proposal.
11. Which country’s player Tim Paine announced his retirement from cricket?
b. new zealand
Answer: a. Australia
– Former captain of the Australian Test cricket team, Tim Paine, announced his retirement from cricket in March 2023.
– He announced his decision after playing his final Sheffield Shield first-class match against Queensland.