This is the current affairs of 17 March 2023 Current Affairs, which will help you in your competitive exams.
PDF Download: Click here
1. What is the name of Asia’s first female locomotive pilot who made history in March 2023 by also driving the Vande Bharat Express?
a. Rashmi Patel
b. Anupam Maurya
c. Manisha Paswan
d. Surekha Yadav
Answer: d. Surekha Yadav
– Asia’s First Loco Pilot Surekha Yadav drove the Vande Bharat Express on March 13, 2023.
– She also became the first female locomotive pilot of the Vande Bharat Express.
– On which route did the Vande Bharat Express run – Solapur-CSMT, Mumbai.
– This train completed a journey of more than 450 km.
About Surekha Yadav:
– She is originally from Satara, Maharashtra.
– She comes from a family of farmers and has studied engineering.
– In 1989, Surekha Yadav became the first female train driver in India.
– Until that time, no woman had been given the responsibility of operating a train in any country in Asia.
– Thus, Surekha Yadav was declared Asia’s first female locomotive pilot.
– She said that this was not her dream job, but she began to enjoy it. “Once you enter a professional field, you have to follow it. You will learn everything.”
She believes that it is a myth that certain professions can only be dominated by men.
– She told, “No field is male-dominated. We have to enter it. No one says we cannot be associated with any profession.”
Railway Minister – Ashwini Vaishnav
Railway Board Chairman and CEO – Anil Kumar Lahoti
2. After 26 months of a vacant position, who did the United States appoint as its ambassador to India?
a. Kenneth Juster
b. Eric Garcetti
c. Sun Weidong
d. Richard Verma
Answer: b. Eric Garcetti
– Eric Garcetti became the new US ambassador to India on March 15, 2023.
– The US Senate has approved his nomination.
– The post of the US ambassador to India had been vacant for 26 months since Kenneth Juster’s resignation in January 2021.
Who is Eric Garcetti?
– He has been the mayor of Los Angeles.
– India’s ambassador to the United States – Taranjit Singh Sandhu.
3. RBI has allowed banks to trade in rupees with how many countries?
Answer: c. 18
– Finance Minister Bhagwat Kishanrao Karad gave this information in the Rajya Sabha.
– He said – RBI has allowed banks in 18 countries to open Rupee payment Special Vostro Rupee Account (SVRA).
– When an Indian importer makes a payment in rupees to a foreign merchant, the amount is credited to this Vostro account.
– Similarly, when an Indian exporter needs to pay in rupees for his goods and services, money will be deducted from this account. Thereafter it will be credited to the regular account of the exporter.
Countries allowed for trading in rupees:
– New Zealand
– Sri Lanka
– United Kingdom
4. Which country became the first in the world to import and store carbon dioxide (CO2) under the sea?
a. Saudi Arab
Answer: b. Denmark
– On March 8, 2023, Denmark inaugurated a Greensand project to store carbon dioxide (CO2) 1,800 meters below the North Sea.
– Brian Gilvary, Chairman of INEOS Energy Board, inaugurated the Greensand project.
– Denmark is the world’s first country to bury or store imported carbon dioxide (CO2) from abroad.
Why is the project in the North Sea?
– The North Sea is particularly suitable for such projects because it already has oil and gas pipelines and potential storage sites. Some oil wells have already dried up, and CO2 is being stored in those places.
What is the initial plan?
– Initially, gas will be sent in liquid form from an INEOS plant in Belgium, but later there are plans to bring CO2 from Denmark and other European countries.
– The goal of the Greensand project is to inject 8 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year by 2030 after a pilot phase.
– Capital: Copenhagen
– Crown Prince of Denmark: Crown Prince Frederik
– Currency: Danish Krone
5. The volcanic eruption in March 2023 occurred in which country’s Mount Merapi?
Answer: d. Indonesia
– The eruption was so strong that the ashes rose up to seven kilometers.
– The surrounding villages were covered in ash.
Mount Merapi is located on the Java Island of Indonesia.
– The volcano has been erupting periodically since 1548.
– Since 2006, it has become more active.
In 2010, an eruption of this volcano caused the death of 347 people.
The most active volcano is in Indonesia.
– There are 1500 active volcanoes in the world.
Indonesia has the highest number of active volcanoes.
– Out of seven active volcanoes, eruptions have been occurring continuously since August 12, 2022. These are Krakatoa, Merapi, Lewotolo, Karangetang, Semeru, Ibu, and Dukono.
Ring of Fire
– This country is located above the Pacific Ring of Fire.
– This area experiences the most geological and seismic activities.
– In Indonesia, the Eurasian tectonic plate is moving towards the south.
– The Indian-Australian tectonic plate is moving towards the north. The Philippine plate is moving towards the west.
– Now these three plates are colliding in Indonesia, which causes frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
– This country is also the fourth most populous country in the world.
– The most populous island in Indonesia is Java.
– Capital – Jakarta
– President – Joko Widodo
– Currency – Indonesian rupiah
6. What year did WHO set the goal of reducing salt intake in people’s diets by 30%?
Answer: a. 2025
– WHO’s goal is to reduce salt intake in people’s diets by 30% by 2030.
– The report is titled “WHO global report on sodium intake reduction.”
– The report claims that if necessary steps are not taken in time, approximately 7 million people will lose their lives due to salt-related diseases in the next 7 years.
WHO has made a plan:
– Campaigns and awareness programs will need to be run in all countries to help change habits of consuming too much salt.
– It will be necessary to inform about the quantity of salt in packed food.
– Public institutions such as schools, hospitals, and offices should provide items with less sodium.
How much salt should one take?
– According to WHO, most people around the world are consuming 10.8 grams of salt daily, which is several times more than what their body needs.
– A healthy person should take only 2.3 grams of sodium per day, which is found in 5 grams of salt.
– However, for patients with different health issues such as kidney problems, diabetes, and heart disease, the recommended amount of salt intake may be even lower.
Harmful effects of consuming too much salt
– It can cause swelling in the kidneys.
– It can lead to hair loss.
– It can cause water retention in the body, which means the body holds onto water.
– It can lead to many diseases such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and even kidney disease.
– It can weaken bones and cause problems like osteoporosis.
– It can increase thirst, which means you will have to go to the bathroom more frequently.
– It can cause sleeplessness at night and restlessness.
7. When is National Vaccination Day celebrated?
a. March 17
b. March 16
c. March 15
d. March 14
Answer: b. March 16
– This day is celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of vaccination throughout the country.
– National Vaccination Day was first celebrated on March 16, 1995.
– In 1995, India launched the Pulse Polio program and administered the first dose of oral polio vaccine.
– India’s campaign to eradicate polio from its roots was initiated by the government through the Pulse Polio campaign.
8. When is No Smoking Day celebrated?
a. fourth wednesday of march
b. third wednesday of march
c. second wednesday of march
d. first wednesday of march
Answer: c. The second Wednesday of March.
– In the year 2023, this day was celebrated on March 8th.
– Every year, the second Wednesday of March is celebrated as No Smoking Day to encourage quitting smoking.
– The main objective of this day is to raise awareness about the negative effects of cigarette and tobacco use on health.
– Smoking affects the nervous system, respiratory system, cardiovascular system, digestive system, hair, skin, and nails of the body.
9. FIFA’s President’s name is, who has been re-elected for another term (until 2027)?
a. Rakesh Maria
b. Gianni Infantino
c. John Pavel
d. Vavel Disuja
Answer: d. Gianni Infantino
– Gianni Infantino was re-elected as the President of FIFA for another term on March 16, 2023.
– There was no opposition candidate against Infantino.
His term will last until 2027.
– He was first elected as the President of FIFA in 2016.
– Full form: Fédération Internationale de Football Association
– Founded: May 21, 1904
– Headquarters: Zurich, Switzerland
10. In which city did Union Minister Nitin Gadkari hoist the green flag on the first bus powered by methanol in March 2023?
Answer: d. Bengaluru
– Central Minister Nitin Gadkari hoisted the green flag on the first Methanol-powered bus in Bengaluru in March 2023.
– Ashok Leyland manufactured this bus in collaboration with the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), NITI Aayog, and the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
– These buses run entirely on methanol.
– CM – Basavaraj Bommai
– Governor – Thaawarchand Gehlot