This is the current affairs of 2nd May 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Name the first Indian men’s doubles pair to win gold medal in Badminton Asia Championship?
a. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty
b. Ong Yew Sin and Teo Ee Yi
c. Rajendra Patel and V Ratnesh
d. Vishwas Mukherjee and Narendra Banerjee
Answer : a. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty
– Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty created history on April 30, 2023.
– They defeated the Malaysian duo of Ong Yew Sin and Teo Ee Yi.
– Prior to this, Dinesh Khanna had won the last individual gold medal for men in 1965.
– The Badminton Asia Championship was held in Dubai, UAE in the year 2023.
– The Badminton Association of India has announced a cash prize of Rs. 20 lakhs for the historic gold medal winners.
2. If there is no scope for reconciliation between the husband and wife, the Supreme Court can grant instant divorce under which article of the Constitution?
a. Article 142
b. Article 144
c. Article 161
d. Article 213
Answer : a. Article 142
Supreme Court’s decision:
– If the relationship between husband and wife has deteriorated to such an extent that there is no possibility of reconciliation, then the court can grant divorce under Article 142 of the Constitution of India.
– For this, they will not have to go to family court and nor will they have to wait for 6 to 18 months to get a divorce.
What are the provisions for divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act?
– Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 provides for divorce by mutual consent.
– Both the husband and wife can file for divorce in the district court.
– The basis for this should be that they have been living apart for at least two years, or it is not possible to live together, or they have taken a decision to separate by mutual consent.
– According to the law, both parties must wait between 6 to 18 months from the date of filing the divorce application.
– This period is known as the cooling-off period.
– The decision for divorce is not taken in haste, and this time is provided for considering the matter.
– During this period, both parties can withdraw the divorce application.
– If this does not happen, then after the waiting period is over, and after hearing both parties, if the court feels that the divorce is justified, then it can grant approval for the divorce.
What changed after the Supreme Court’s decision?
– The Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court, consisting of five judges, has made an important decision.
– The court has stated that based on irretrievable breakdown of a marriage, it can end any marriage between spouses.
– The SC has made it clear that there is no need to send parties to the Family Court, where they may have to wait for 6 to 18 months.
– The bench led by Justice ES has said that SC has the authority under Article 142 of the Constitution to start the process of divorce.
– Actually, both the parties can reach the family court to start the divorce process. By the way, this process takes a lot of time and is also long. In such a situation, a large number of cases are pending before the court. If the husband and wife want an early divorce, they can approach the Supreme Court under Article 142 to dissolve the marriage.
Do we have to go directly to the Supreme Court now?
– No. Only under certain special conditions can you file a petition for divorce in the Supreme Court under section 13B. Even in this case, the matter will first be heard in the trial court. Then it will go to the High Court and finally to the Supreme Court.
Divorce can happen in two ways
– Contested divorce: means divorce without mutual consent
– Mutual Consent: Divorce with mutual consent
Contested divorce means divorce without mutual consent
– This divorce is often seen in disputed cases.
– In case of contested divorce, husband or wife cannot seek divorce without giving any reason to each other.
On what grounds can divorce be done?
– Divorce can be sought on behalf of any spouse on grounds such as extra-marital affair, cruelty, desertion, change of religion, mental disorder, leprosy, venereal disease, retirement, apprehension of death.
– Article 142 comes in Chapter 4 (Supreme Court) of Part 5 (Union) of the Indian Constitution.
– This article gives the Supreme Court the power to deliver ‘complete justice’.
– Under this provision, if no other law is applicable in a particular case, the decision of the court will be considered supreme.
– This article is divided into two parts.
– Article 142(1) and Article 142(2).
– Article 142(1) gives the Supreme Court the power to issue orders that go beyond existing laws if complete justice cannot be achieved under the current laws in a particular case.
– This order will remain in force until the government or parliament provides any special provision regarding the matter.
– Article 142(2) gives the Supreme Court the power to summon individuals, demand documents, and investigate cases of guilt.
– It also gives the right to punish the guilty.
3. Who is the 17th World Men’s Chess Champion (2023)?
a. Ding Liren
b. Ian Nepomaniacchi
c. Magnus Carlsen
d. Vantika agarwal
Answer: a. Ding Liren
4. Ding Liren of which country became the 17th world men’s chess champion?
Answer : d. China
– They became the first world chess champions from China.
– Ding Liren defeated Russia’s Ian Nepomniachtchi to become the 17th world chess champion.
– Ding replaced Magnus Carlsen of Norway (16th world champion) as the winner of the World Chess Championship.
– Ding won this title in the Games held in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan.
– Now China has both men’s (Ding Liren) and women’s (Ju Wenjun) world chess champions.
5. When is Ayushman Bharat Diwas celebrated?
a. 29 April
b. 30 April
c. 1 May
d. 2 May
Answer : b. 30 April
– The aim of this day is to emphasize the importance of health facilities for all citizens.
– Ayushman Bharat Yojana provides coverage of up to 5 lakh rupees for the entire family.
– This is a paperless and cashless scheme.
– This scheme was launched in the year 2018.
– It is the world’s largest government-funded health insurance scheme, which provides free medical treatment to more than 50 crore people from low-income families.
6. Who was elected the new President of Paraguay?
a. Horacio Cartes
b. Efrain Alegre
c. Santiago Peña
d. Marlin Munaro
Answer : c. Santiago Peña
– They have been an economist and former finance minister in Paraguay.
– They are from the Colorado Party. This party has been in power in Paraguay for a long time.
– It is a landlocked country located in South America.
– Capital – Asuncion
– Currency – Guarani
7. Who has become the MD and CEO of Bank of India?
a. Vijay Sharma
b. Rajendra Pathak
c. Rajneesh Karnataka
d. Arun Tyagi
Answer : c. Rajneesh Karnataka
– He has been appointed for a period of three years.
– Rajneesh has taken the place of Atanu Kumar Das, who completed his three-year term in January this year.
– Rajneesh Karnataka has more than 29 years of experience in the banking sector.
– He has worked as a director in Union Bank of India and as a chief general manager in Punjab National Bank.
Bank of India
– Founder: Sir Sorabji Pochkhanawala
– Established: 1906
– Headquarters: Mumbai
8. Name the winner of Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2023?
a. Sergio Perez
b. Max Verstappen
c. Aston martin
d. Fernando Alonso
Answer : a. Sergio Perez
– Sergio Perez of Red Bull Racing won the 2023 Formula One Championship in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan.
– He defeated Max Verstappen to win the title.
9. When will the National Games be organized in Goa, which will be inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi?
a. August 2023
b. September 2023
c. October 2023
d. November 2023
Answer : c. October 2023
– The opening ceremony will be held on October 23 or 24. The game will be held till 10 November.
– Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant has announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the National Games in Goa in October 2023.
10. Who has been appointed by the Central Government as the new Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy?
a. Rakesh Maria
b. A K Mohanty
c. Homie Jack
d. Rajendra Kumar
Answer : b. A K Mohanty (Ajit Kumar Mohanty)
– He is the director of Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC).
– Now he has become the new chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission and secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy.
– He will be responsible for overseeing India’s nuclear program and exploring the use of nuclear energy for non-military purposes.