This is the current affairs of 18 March 2023. Here are 11 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Which international court issued an arrest warrant against Russian President Putin?
a. International Court of Justice (ICJ)
b. International Criminal Court (ICC)
c. European Court of Justice
d. Permanent Court of International Justice
Answer: b. International Criminal Court (ICC)
– What is the International Criminal Court (ICC)?
– Why did the ICC issue an arrest warrant?
– Will Putin be arrested?
– How was it established?
– What are its powers and jurisdiction?
– What types of crimes fall under the ICC’s purview?
– The Russia-Ukraine war has completed one year on 24 February.
Against Whom ICC Issued Arrest Warrant:
– Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russia’s children’s rights commissioner Maria Lavoiva-Belova
About the International Criminal Court (ICC):
– Headquarters: The Hague, Netherlands
– This court is separate from the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
– President: Piotr Hofmanski
– Establishment: 1 July 2002
– The court was created under the International Treaty “Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court,” which was signed on 17 July 1998.
– Member Countries: 123 (India is not a member, treaty not signed)
– Only in those countries that have signed and ratified the ‘Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court’.
There are a total of 123 member countries.
Crimes for which ICC has jurisdiction:
(2) Crimes against humanity
(3) War crimes
(4) Crime of aggression
Why did ICC issue an arrest warrant?
– For war crimes in Ukraine.
– The court said Putin is responsible for the kidnapping and deportation of Ukrainian children.
– ICC stated that it has sufficient basis to believe that not only did Putin and Belykh commit these crimes, but they also aided others in doing so.
– In fact, ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan started investigating possible war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide in Ukraine a year ago.
Will Putin be arrested?
– Although the International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued the warrant, it does not have the power to arrest suspects.
– It can only use its jurisdiction in those countries that have signed the treaty establishing this court.
Russia has not signed the treaty, so Putin cannot be arrested.
What did the Ukrainian President say?
– Responding to this, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said that this is just the beginning.
2. Which countries participated in the ‘C-DRAGON 23’ war exercise held in America?
a. India, Canada and America
b. Japan and South Korea
c. Canada and France
d. a and b
Answer: d. a and b (India, Canada, USA, Japan, South Korea)
– Exercise C-DRAGON is a biennial, multi-lateral naval exercise. Its third iteration was conducted in 2023.
– It is a multinational anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise.
– When and where it was conducted – from 15 to 30 March in Guam, USA.
– India’s maritime patrol aircraft P8I participated in this exercise.
– This exercise focuses on anti-submarine warfare tactics, strategy, and procedures.
– This exercise was started in the year 2015 and is organized by the US Navy.
Name of forces involved in Exercise Sea Dragon:
– India – Indian Navy
– America – American Navy
– Japan – Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force
– Canada – Royal Canadian Air Force
Other exercises between India and America:
– Malabar: with Japan and Australia (Navy)
– War Exercise: Military Training Exercise
– Vajra Prahar: Special Force Exercise.
3. Where was the biggest food expo in Asia, Ahara-2023, held?
a. Pragati Maidan in Delhi
b. Residency in Lucknow
c. Gandhi Maidan in Patna
d. Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai
Answer: a. Pragati Maidan in Delhi
– The biggest international food and hospitality fair in Asia, Ahara-2023, was held at Pragati Maidan in Delhi.
– Dates of Ahara 2023 fair: March 14-18, 2023
– Ministry supporting the event: Union Ministry of Food Processing Industry, Agriculture (Central Minister – Pashupati Kumar Paras)
Objective of Ahara 2023
– The objective is to showcase the capacity of the hospitality industry and showcase technology, products, and services to domestic and foreign customers.
– The fair provided access to wholesalers, chefs, caterers, hotel and restaurant owners, and the manufacturing industry associated with it.
Culinary Art India
– The main event of this fair is Culinary Art India.
More than 500 chefs from India and certified jury members from abroad evaluated the skills of the chefs.
4. In how many states did the central government sign a loan agreement with the World Bank for the 781-kilometer Green National Highway Corridor Project?
a. Punjab, Maharashtra
b. Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh
c. Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh
d. b and c
Answer: d. b and c (Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and Andhra Pradesh)
– For the construction of the Green National Highway Corridor Project (GNHCP), the Government of India (GOI) and the World Bank have signed an agreement.
– Nitin Gadkari, the Minister of Road Transport and Highways, provided this information in a written response in the Rajya Sabha.
What is the Green National Highway Corridor Project?
– Length: 781 kilometers
– States involved: Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and Andhra Pradesh
– Cost: 1,288.24 million US dollars (76,624.7 crore rupees)
– World Bank loan amount: 500 million US dollars (41,288.3 crore rupees)
– Road construction under this project will be done in a way that reduces carbon footprint and promotes a clean environment.
– This project will also boost the use of electric vehicles and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
It will create employment opportunities and boost the Indian economy by promoting trade and commerce.
Key features of the Green Highway Policy 2015
– The Green National Highway Corridor Project (GNHCP) is a key initiative of the central government to promote sustainable development.
– The project is in line with the Green Highway Policy 2015, which aims to promote greenery along national highways and reduce their carbon footprint.
5. The Rajasthan government announced the formation of how many new districts in the state in March 2023?
Answer: d. 19
6. The Rajasthan government announced the formation of 19 new districts, with this the total number of districts in the state is now?
Answer: d. 50
– Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot announced it in the Vidhan Sabha on March 17, 2023.
– Earlier there were 33 districts in the state.
– Actually, Jaipur and Jodhpur will no longer be a district, it has been divided into several parts. Means these districts are now divided into many districts. Because of this, despite having 19 new districts, the total number of districts will be 50.
– A budget provision of Rs 2,000 crore has also been announced for the supply of these new districts and needs.
which new districts
(Note – Jaipur and Jodhpur will no longer be a district, it has been divided into several parts.)
– By dividing Jaipur – Jaipur North, Jaipur South, Dudu and Kotputli district
– By dividing Jodhpur – Jodhpur East, Jodhpur West and Phalodi
– From Sri Ganganagar – Anoopgarh
– From Barmer – Balotra
Separating from Ajmer – Bayavar and Kekri
– From Bharatpur – Deeg
Separating from Nagaur – Didwana-Kuchaman City
– From Sawai Madhopur – Gangapur City
– Separating from Alwar – Khairthal
– Separating from Sikar – Neem Ka Thana
– Separating from Udaipur – Salumber
– Separating from Jalore – Sanchor
– Separating from Bhilwara – Shahpura
Three new divisions
– Sikar, Pali, and Banswara
Why announce new districts?
– Chief Minister Gehlot said that due to Rajasthan being the country’s largest state from a geographical standpoint, we have many districts where the distance between the district headquarters and many areas is more than 100 kilometers.
– As a result, common people have to face difficulties.
Along with this, the population of many districts is also very high, which creates difficulties in providing efficient services.
CM – Ashok Gehlot
Governor – Kalraj Mishra
Capital – Jaipur
7. Which government took the decision of reservation for state agitators and their dependents in government jobs?
Answer: a. Uttarakhand
– The Uttarakhand government has approved a 10% horizontal reservation for activists and their dependents involved in the statehood movement.
– The decision was taken in a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami.
– There are more than 10,000 statehood activists in Uttarakhand who will benefit from this reservation.
During the statehood movement that began in 1994, many protesters were injured, arrested, or killed.
– Establishment: November 9, 2000
– Capital: Gairsain (summer) and Dehradun (winter)
– Chief Minister: Pushkar Singh Dhami
– Governor: Gurmeet Singh
8. The Uttarakhand government has increased the MLA fund from 3.75 crores annually to how much?
a. 4 crores
b. 5 crores
c. 6 crores
d. 7 crores
Answer: b. 5 crores
– The Uttarakhand Cabinet has increased the MLA fund from 3.75 crores to 5 crores annually.
– This means the government has increased the MLA fund by up to 33 percent.
– After this decision, the MLA fund in Uttarakhand has become even higher than the MLAs of neighboring states Uttar Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh.
– The MLA fund in Uttar Pradesh is three crores annually.
– Whereas in Himachal Pradesh, it is even lower at two crores annually.
9. When is the Global Recycling Day celebrated?
a. March 16
b. March 17
c. March 18
d. March 19
Answer: c. March 18
This day was celebrated for the first time in 2018.
– Theme of 2023 – Creative Innovation
10. When is Ordnance Factories’ Day celebrated?
a. March 16
b. March 17
c. March 18
d. March 19
Answer: c. March 18
Note – The Indian Ordnance Factories Board (IOFB) has been dissolved by the central government and replaced with seven new Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
11. Sameer Khakhar passed away on 15 March 2023, was he among the following?
Answer: d. actor
– Samir Khakhar was known for his memorable roles in TV shows like “Nukkad” and “Circus,” and films like “Parinda” and “Serious Men.”
Samir Khakhar’s career:
– Samir started his career with the film “Jawaab Hum Denge” in 1987.
– After that, he worked in many excellent films of his career, such as “Mera Shikar,” “Shahenshah,” “Guru,” “Nafarat Ki Aandhi,” and “Parinda.” Samir appeared on the small screen in TV shows like “Manoranjan,” “Circus,” “Naya Nukkad,” “Shrimaan Shrimati,” and “Adalat.”