This is the current affairs of 16th & 17th April 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
1. Who won the title of Miss India World 2023?
a. Shreya Poonja
b. Nandini Gupta
c. Ozum luwang
d. Anjum Priya
Answer: b. Nandini Gupta
– Nandini Gupta won the title of Femina Miss India 2023 late at night on April 15th.
– Miss India 2022, Sinny Shetty crowned her.
– The event was held in Imphal, the capital of Manipur.
– Nandini Gupta will now represent India at the 71st edition of the Miss World competition in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
First and Second Runner-Up:
– Shreya Poonja from Delhi was declared the first runner-up and Stella Thouna Ojam Luwang from – Manipur was declared the second runner-up.
– She is from Kota, Rajasthan.
– She is 19 years old.
– She is studying business management.
– Nandini considers Ratan Tata as her inspiration and is also inspired by Priyanka Chopra.
– She believes that failure is also necessary to create an identity.
– When thinking about her career or life, she considers all the difficulties and adversities and moves forward.
– Gupta had dreamed of becoming Miss India since she was 10 years old.
2. In which country, there was a bloody struggle between the army and paramilitary forces to capture power and more than 56 people including Indian citizens died?
b. South Africa
Answer: d. Sudan
– Capital – Khartoum
– Currency – Sudanese Pound
– On October 25, 2021, the military in Sudan carried out a coup.
– Since then, the country has been governed by the military through the Universal Council (Supreme Council).
– Its chairman is the Chief of Staff, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and its vice-chairman is the Chief of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.
Why is there a bloody conflict between the military and the RSF?
– The military and the RSF are at odds over a deal to enforce civilian rule.
– There is a plan to merge the semi-military Rapid Support Forces with the army in Sudan, which has been a controversial issue for years.
– Tensions between the two sides escalated on April 13, 2023.
– After this, the semi-military Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Sudan said that it had seized the presidential palace, the chief of staff’s residence, and the Khartoum international airport.
– Previously, these were under the control of the military.
On the other hand, the military is also taking military action to remove the RSF’s control.
Indian citizen’s death
– In a fight between the military and paramilitary, an Indian citizen, Albert Augustine, has died.
– He was 48 years old and a resident of Kerala.
– External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar expressed grief over his death.
– According to official figures, there are about 4,000 Indians in Sudan, of whom 1,200 have been living in the country for decades.
– Amidst the gunfire and clashes, the Indian Embassy in Sudan has advised all Indians residing in Sudan to stay indoors.
More than 56 deaths in violent fighting
– The number of fatalities in this fight is more than 56.
Among them, one is Indian and three are employees of the United Nations.
– Additionally, more than 600 people have been injured.
Army declares RSF leader as fugitive
– Speaking to the media, RSF leader Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti) said, “We will not retreat until our military seizes all army bases.”
– Following his statement, the country’s paramilitary force has decided to disband the RSF.
At the same time, a poster of Dagalo was released, declaring him a fugitive criminal.
– In an interview given to Al Jazeera, RSF chief Dagalo labeled the country’s President and military chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan as criminals, inciting violence against them.
3. Which project has been launched by Bihar government to strengthen IT network in technical educational institutions?
a. Electronic knowledge network
b. Digital Knowledge Park
c. IT Knowledge Network
d. None of these
Answer: a. Electronic knowledge network
– The Bihar government has initiated a project to strengthen the IT network in the education sector.
The government has named it the Electronic Knowledge Network Project.
– Its objective is to promote the use of IT in technical education institutions (engineering colleges and polytechnics) in Bihar.
– This project will fulfill the digital needs of educational institutions for the next five years.
– It will provide high-speed internet, LAN, Wi-Fi, smart classrooms, VoIP, and SD-WAN, among other things, on campuses.
RailTel Corporation of India Limited received an order
– RailTel will also develop the basic infrastructure for Bihar’s Electronic Knowledge Project.
– RailTel Corporation of India Limited will provide internet service through two different internet service providers.
– The Bihar government has given RailTel Corporation of India Limited an order worth Rs. 76.10 crores for this purpose.
– Chairman and Managing Director: Sanjay Kumar
– RailTel is a central public sector enterprise under the Ministry of Railways.
– RailTel provides services such as MPLS VPN, telepresence, lease line, tower co-location, and data center services.
– CM – Nitish Kumar
– Governor – Phagu Chauhan
– Capital – Patna
4. 18,000 cows died in a fire at a dairy farm in Texas state of which country?
Answer: b. USA
– When did this incident happen: On April 10, 2023
– Nearly 18,000 cows died and a female employee was seriously injured in a dairy farm milking parlor fire in Dimmit, Texas.
– Due to fires and other natural disasters in the US, 30 million domesticated animals have died from 2013 to 2023.
– In 2016, due to a severe ice storm in Texas, 35,000 cows died.
– The recent incident of cow deaths is in Texas, where 18,000 cows died.
What happened at the dairy farm?
– When the cows were taken to the large holding pen to extract milk, an explosion occurred in the farm equipment.
– This caused a fire to break out.
– President – Joe Biden
– Capital – Washington D.C.
5. In which state the 125 feet tall statue of Dr. BR Ambedkar was installed?
a. Uttar Pradesh
Answer: d. Telangana
– Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekar Rao unveiled a 125-foot tall statue of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar on April 14, 2023.
– The unveiling of this statue took place on the 132nd birth anniversary of the architect of the Indian Constitution.
– Where is the statue located: Near the State Secretariat on the banks of the Hussain Sagar Lake in Hyderabad.
6. Name the country’s oldest sprinter, who won three gold medals at the World Masters Athletics Indoor Championships 2023?
a. Bhagwani Devi Dagar
b. Ramlata Devi Dagar
c. Ishwari devi
d. Indira Devi
Answer: a. Bhagwani Devi Dagar
– She resides in Najafgarh, Delhi.
– She has once again surprised the whole world by her achievement.
– In the 9th World Masters Athletics Indoor Championship 2023, she won three gold medals.
Events in which she won gold:
– 60m race
– Discus throw (spin)
– Shot put (spin)
How does Bhagwani Devi Dagar stay fit?
– She says the secret to her fitness is Indian food.
– She has undergone a bypass surgery.
– She doesn’t eat chicken; she consumes milk and curd.
About Bhagwani Devi:
– She lost her husband and son before the age of thirty.
– She was pregnant at that time and later gave birth to a son.
– She does farming to support her family.
7. Which Indian-origin engineer has been appointed by NASA to head the ‘Moon to Mars’ programme?
a. Rakesh Poonawalla
b. Vishal Bhardwaj
c. Amit Kshatriya
d. Anjali Maurya
Answer: c. Amit Kshatriya
– Amit Kshatriya is an American software and robotics engineer of Indian origin.
– He has been appointed as the Deputy Associate Administrator for the “Moon to Mars” program.
– He will be responsible for designing and implementing the human mission to the moon and Mars.
– NASA’s aim is to establish a base on the moon and send a human mission to Mars from there, so that it can save a lot of cost and time.
– For this, more people will have to stay on the moon, which will also require a cellular network.
– Cellular networking company Nokia and Texas-based private space craft design company are working together for this cellular network.
– The Texas-based private space craft design company will transport the necessary equipment to the moon.
– And Nokia will establish a 4G/LTE communication system on the moon.
– This network will be upgradable to 5G.
– This system will provide cellular network, voice and video communication facilities to space travelers on the moon.
– Along with this, it will also allow telemetry and biometric data exchange, and deployment and remote control of rovers and other robotic devices.
8. Which two new indices were launched by the National Stock Exchange?
a. Reits & InvITs
b. Invest & Fund
c. NewG & RG
d. none of these
Answer: a. Reits & InvITs
– National Stock Exchange’s (NSE) subsidiary National Stock Exchange Indices Limited has launched two new indexes in April 2023.
– REITs: Real Estate Investment Trusts
– InvITs: Infrastructure Investment Trusts
Why was this necessary?
– Investment in gold, real estate, and infrastructure is considered the most secure in the country.
– Investors who invest in unorganized real estate often face difficulties.
– Investment in these also tends to be higher.
– In this case, this index helps in two ways. One – any investor can start investing in it even with a small amount.
What is an index?
– It plays a symbolic role as an indicator of stock market health and the direction the market is moving in.
– An index is also an indicator of market sentiment.
– If an index consistently performs well, it means that underlying companies are also performing well.
9. When is World Hemophilia Day observed?
a. 19 April
b. 18 April
c. 17 April
d. 16 April
Answer: c. 17 April
Theme for 2023
– Access for All: Prevention of bleeds as the global standard of care
– The objective of celebrating this day is to raise awareness among people about this dangerous problem.
– Often, when we get injured, blood starts to come out from our body.
– After a while, the blood forms a clot there.
This is why a lot of blood does not come out; it is necessary to have platelets in our blood to make clots.
– When there is a deficiency of certain proteins in the body, blood clots do not form, and this is called hemophilia.
– This day is celebrated in honor of the founder of the World Federation of Hemophilia, Frank Schnabel’s birthday.
World Federation of Hemophilia
– Established: 1963
– Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
10. What is the ranking of India in terms of investment in AI Index (Artificial Intelligence Index) 2023?
Answer: c. 5
– This index is released by Stanford University in America.
– India ranks fifth in the world in terms of investment in – AI-based startups that offer AI-based products and services in 2022.
– AI startups in India received an investment of 3.24 billion dollars in the year 2022.
Which countries and how many companies received funding?
– USA: 542
– China: 160
– United Kingdom: 99
– Israel: 73
– India: 57
– The global reach of the AI index was 25 countries in the previous report (2022), which has now expanded to 127 countries in the new report (2023).