This is the current affairs of 16th June 2023. Here are 11 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
1. Cyclone Biparjoy made landfall in which district of Gujarat?
Answer: a. Kachchh
What is the meaning of “landfall” in a cyclone?
– In simple terms, landfall refers to the occurrence of a cyclone reaching the ground after being over the water.
Landfall near Jafrabad Port
– Cyclone Biparjoy made landfall near Jafrabad Port in the Kachchh district of Gujarat on the night of June 15, 2023.
After staying in the Arabian Sea for 10 days, Biparjoy made landfall.
– The storm intensified with wind speeds of 115-125 kilometers per hour.
– The storm moved towards Rajasthan but caused devastation in several districts of Gujarat.
– There are reports of two fatalities, and there has been significant damage to houses, trees, roads, electricity, phone lines, and towers.
– Over one lakh (100,000) people have been evacuated to safe places.
How large is the center of a cyclone?
– The diameter of the center (eye) of Cyclone Biparjoy was 50 kilometers, while the rest of the storm spread over hundreds of kilometers.
– Its massive eye is even larger than the cyclones Fani in 2019 and Amphan in 2020.
– In this region, the wind speed remained at 115-125 kilometers per hour.
– However, after the completion of landfall, the cyclone quickly loses steam due to the lack of moisture to sustain itself.
– Its impact will persist for the next two to three days.
– Its mild effect will be seen as far as Delhi and Haryana.
2. Which cyclonic storm has created the record of being active for the longest time in the Arabian Sea?
Answer: b. Biparjoy
– Cyclone Biparjoy began in the Arabian Sea on June 5-6, 2023.
– It made landfall in the Kachchh district of Gujarat on the night of June 15.
– It lasted for more than 10 days in the Arabian Sea.
Such a long-duration cyclone had not occurred in the Arabian Sea before.
– The previous long-duration cyclone was Kyarr, which lasted for 9 days and 15 hours.
Why did Cyclone Biparjoy last for so long?
– Due to climate change, the oceans have become warmer.
– During the formation of the cyclone, the sea surface temperature in the Arabian Sea was 31-32 degrees Celsius, which is 2-3 degrees Celsius above normal.
Because of this, the storm lasted for a considerable amount of time.
– The number of cyclones in the Arabian Sea has increased by 52 percent, while severe cyclones have increased by 150 percent.
3. Which country named the cyclone ‘Biparjoy’ formed in the Arabian Sea?
Answer: d. Bangladesh
How are storms in the Indian Ocean named?
– The Indian Ocean region has 13 countries that name cyclones.
– These countries include India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Thailand, Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Yemen.
– These 13 countries maintain a pre-established list of names.
– As soon as a cyclone enters any part of these countries, a specific name from the list is assigned to that cyclone.
This not only helps in easy identification of the cyclone but also aids in disaster preparedness campaigns. No name is repeated.
– The system of naming storms is established under the guidance of the United Nations.
How are cyclones formed?
– When a low-pressure area forms over the ocean, a cyclone is formed.
– The question arises: what is a low-pressure area in the ocean and how does it form?
– Global warming is responsible for this.
– When the temperature of the ocean rises or, in other words, when the ocean starts getting warmer, the warm air rises, leaving behind a vacant space (like a vacuum) that needs to be filled with the surrounding air rushing in. This is called a low-pressure area.
– Since the ocean is vast, this process becomes extensive.
– As the warm air rises and moves upwards, the surrounding air from a larger area rushes in, but the air at higher altitudes is cooler because as we go higher, the temperature decreases.
– In such a scenario, the cooler air from above also wants to descend, and this transforms into a storm.
– The air moves rapidly.
-The ocean plays a significant role in absorbing global warming or heat from the Earth.
– In a way, we can say that through cyclones, the ocean tries to keep itself cool.
4. According to IMD report Statement on Climate of India during-2022 how many deaths occurred due to extreme weather events in the country in the year 2022?
Answer: b. 2,227
– The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has released a report on extreme weather events titled “Statement on Climate of India During 2022”.
– According to the report, heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides were the second leading cause of deaths in the year 2022.
– In 2022, a total of 15 cyclonic storms developed compared to the normal of 11.2.
Deaths due to extreme weather events in previous years:
– Year 2022: 2,227 deaths
– Year 2021: 1,750 deaths
– Year 2020: 1,338 deaths
Number of deaths from different weather events:
– Lightning and thunderstorms: 1,285 (58%)
– Floods and heavy rain: 835 (37%)
– Snowfall: 37 (2%)
– Heatwaves: 30 (1%)
– Dust storms: 22 (1%)
– Others: 18 (1%)
India Meteorological Department (IMD)
– Headquarters: New Delhi
– Established: 1875
– Director-General: Dr. Mritunjay Mahapatra
5. Which technique is used to estimate the intensity of ocean storms (hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons)?
a. Advanced Dvorak Technique (ADT)
b. Weather Risk Technique
c. India Weather Technology
d. none of the above
Answer: a. Advanced Dvorak Technique (ADT)
– The intensity of marine storms (hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons) is estimated using Advanced Dvorak Technique (referred to as Advanced Dvorak).
– This allows for early estimation of damages, potentially saving the lives of millions of people.
– Previously, this technique was called Dvorak Technique, but after a software update in May 2022, it was renamed Advanced Dvorak Technique (ADT).
– Satellite assistance is also utilized for this technique.
The technique was developed by meteorologist Vernon Dvorak.
– He passed away on September 20, 2022, at the age of 100.
6. Which state’s cabinet has withdrawn the anti-conversion law?
b. Tamil Nadu
c. Andhra Pradesh
Answer: a. Karnataka
– The Congress government in Karnataka has announced the repeal of the Karnataka Protection of Rights to Freedom of Religion Act, 2022.
– This decision was made in the state cabinet meeting held on June 15, 2023.
– The anti-conversion law was introduced by the BJP government in Karnataka, led by Basavaraj Bommai, in 2022.
– CM – Siddaramaiah
– Governor – Thawar Chand Gehlot
– Capital – Bengaluru
7. Which state has secured the first position in the category of large states in the State Food Safety Index 2022-23?
b. Andhra Pradesh
c. Tamil Nadu
Answer: a. Kerala
– This is the fifth Food Security Index released by Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, on Food Security Day, which is June 7, 2023.
– The first report of this kind was released on June 7, 2019.
Ranking of States:
3- Tamil Nadu
8. Which state has secured the first position in the category of small states in the State Food Safety Index 2022-23?
c. Andhra Pradesh
Answer: b. Goa
– Among smaller states, Goa topped, Manipur second and Sikkim third.
9. Which state has topped the Union Territories (UT) category in the State Food Security Index 200-23?
a. Jammu and Kashmir
Answer: a. Jammu and Kashmir
– After this, Delhi remained in second place and Chandigarh in third place.
10. In which troubled state did a mob set ablaze Union Minister RK Ranjan’s house?
Answer: a. Manipur
– According to the newspaper Indian Express, on the night of June 15, 2023, a mob set fire to the residence of RK Ranjan, the Union Minister of State for External Affairs.
– This incident took place in the capital city of Imphal, Manipur.
– The Central Minister was not at home during the incident. He was in Kerala.
– The Central Minister stated that the miscreants had brought petrol bombs and caused damage to the ground floor and the first floor of his house.
– In Manipur, violent clashes have been taking place between two groups – Meitei and Kuki – since May 3, resulting in the death of over 100 people.
– The incidents of setting houses on fire occurred when the army and Assam Rifles intensified their “Operation Regional Dominance” campaign after the recent escalation of violence in the conflict-affected state. Army and Assam Rifles units conducted thorough searches and removed the roadblocks wherever they were set up.
– CM – N. Biren Singh
– Governor – Anusuiya Uikey
11. When is international family remittances day celebrated?
a. 14 June
b. 15 June
c. 16 June
d. 17 June
Answer: c. 16 June
Theme of 2023:
– Digital remittances towards financial inclusion and cost reduction.
– This day is proclaimed by the United Nations.
– According to the World Bank’s report (Migration and Development Brief 37), India received nearly $100 billion through remittances in the year 2022.
– India is the largest recipient of remittances in the world.
Top 5 countries in remittances:
– India: $100 billion
– Mexico: $60 billion
– China: $51 billion
– Philippines: $38 billion
– Egypt: $32 billion