This is the current affairs of 15th June 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
1. What was India’s wholesale inflation rate in May 2023?
a. (-) 3.48%
b. (-) 1.48%
c. (-) 2.48%
d. (+) 1.48%
Answer: a. (-) 3.48%
– In May 2023, the wholesale inflation rate has decreased by -3.48%.
– Along with this, wholesale inflation has reached its lowest level in 7 years. Previously, in October 2015, it was at -3.81%.
– In April 2023, the wholesale inflation rate was -0.92%.
Retail inflation rate:
– The central government had released the retail inflation rate for May 2023 earlier. It was 4.25%.
Who releases the wholesale inflation rate report:
– The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) releases the report.
– It falls under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
(Note: The retail inflation rate is released by the NSO.)
What is the wholesale inflation rate?
– This inflation rate is based on the Wholesale Price Index (WPI).
– Wholesale Price Index (WPI) represents the prices that a trader pays to another trader in the wholesale market.
– These prices are related to business conducted in the wholesale market.
(Note: The retail inflation rate is determined by the Consumer Price Index.)
How did the wholesale inflation rate decrease?
– The decrease in the prices of mineral oils, primary metals, food products, textiles, non-food items, crude petroleum and natural gas, chemicals, and chemical products has led to a decline in the inflation rate in May 2023.
Commerce and Industry Minister: Piyush Goyal
2. Who among the following received the ‘Governor of the Year’ 2023 award?
a. Shaktikanta Das
b. Urjit Patel
c. Jerome Powell
d. Andrew Bailey
Answer: a. Shaktikanta Das
– The RBI Governor received this award at an event held in London in June 2023.
– Who gave the award – ‘International Economic Research Journal Central Banking’.
– Why was the award given – for their stable leadership during the challenging times of COVID-19.
– Shaktikanta Das is a retired IAS officer from the 1980 batch.
– He took charge as the 25th Governor of RBI on December 12, 2018, following the resignation of Urjit Patel. He was appointed as the Governor after Urjit Patel’s resignation.
Other Governors who have received this award:
– This is the second time that a Governor of an Indian Central Bank has won this award.
– Prior to Das, Raghuram Rajan was honored with the ‘Governor of the Year’ award in 2015.
3. Which central bank received the ‘Central Bank of the Year 2023’ award?
b. National Bank of Ukraine
c. Federal Reserve
d. Bank of England
Answer: b. National Bank of Ukraine
– The International Economic Research Journal, Central Banking (IJCB), has awarded the National Bank of Ukraine with the ‘Central Bank of the Year’ award for the year 2023.
4. Which Indian documentary won an award at the WHO Health for All Film Festival?
a. When Climate Change Turns Violent
b. Jonathan’s Miracle Feet
c. Gasping for life
d. one in 36 million
Answer: a. When Climate Change Turns Violent
– The World Health Organization (WHO) announced several awards on June 7, 2023.
– Among them, the Indian documentary ‘When Climate Change Turns Violent’ is also included.
– This documentary received an award in the ‘Climate Change and Health’ category.
– It was directed by Vandita Saharia from Rajasthan, who is the only Indian among the winners.
Two movies from the Southeast Asia region selected
– Two films from the Southeast Asia region won awards at the WHO Film Festival.
– Apart from India, Bangladesh’s movie “One in 36 Million: Story of Childhood Lead Poisoning in Bangladesh” also won an award. It received the award in the Better Health and Well-being category. It was directed by Arifur Rahman and Mitali Das.
Festival started in 2019
– WHO initiated the Health for All Film Festival in 2019. Its aim is to focus on health status through audio-visual language.
Headquarters: April 7, 1948
Director-General: Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
5. Which state’s government announced a monthly pension of Rs 10,000 for the Padma award winners of its state?
c. Uttar Pradesh
d. Himachal Pradesh
Answer: b. Haryana
– Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced on June 12, 2023, that the state will provide a monthly pension of 10,000 rupees to the recipients of the Padma Awards.
– The recipients of Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Vibhushan are included in these awardees.
– It was also announced that these awardees will be provided free travel facility in the state government’s ‘Volvo Bus’ service.
CM – Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor – Bandaru Dattatreya
Capital – Chandigarh
6. Who has been appointed as the new CEO of UIDAI?
a. Rakesh Khanna
b. Vijay Kumar
c. Amit Agarwal
d. Viplav Rakesh
Answer: c. Amit Agarwal
– Unique Identification Authority of India
– Chairman: J. Satyanarayana
– Establishment: January 28, 2009
– Ministry: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
– He is an IAS officer from the 1993 batch of the Chhattisgarh cadre.
– His appointment has been made by the Ministry of Personnel.
7. Who has been appointed as the new Director General of National Testing Agency (NTA)?
a. Vijay Sinha
b. Ashok Banerjee
c. Ashok Maurya
d. Subodh Kumar Singh
Answer: d. Subodh Kumar Singh
– They are IAS officers from the 1997 batch of the Chhattisgarh cadre.
– The National Testing Agency was established in November 2017.
– It is an agency under the Ministry of Education.
– Its main task is to conduct entrance exams in educational institutions, such as JEE Main, NEET, CMAT, CUET, and others.
8. Who has been elected as the new President of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), who is the CEO of Indigo?
a. Pieter Elbers
b. Campbell Wilson
c. Ashwani Lohani
d. Rakesh Kumar
Answer: a. Pieter Elbers
– Peter Elbers, the CEO of Indian airline company IndiGo, has been elected as the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
– He will hold this position until the year 2024.
IATA – International Air Transport Association
– It is the largest organization of airlines worldwide.
– It has approximately 300 airline companies associated with it.
– Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
– Establishment: April 19, 1945, in Havana, Cuba.
9. When is the Global Wind Day celebrated?
a. 12 May
b. 12 June
c. 15 June
d. 18 June
Answer: c. 15 June
– The first Global Wind Day was organized by the European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) in 2007.
– Wind energy is a renewable source of energy that harnesses the power of wind to generate electricity. Unlike fossil fuels, wind energy does not deplete natural resources and has minimal environmental impact.
– Wind energy promotes sustainable development by providing a clean and reliable source of electricity.
10. When is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day observed?
a. 11 June
b. 12 June
c. 15 June
d. 16 June
Answer: c. 15 June
Theme for the Year 2023:
– Closing the Circle: Addressing Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in Older Age Policy, Law, and Evidence-based Responses
– The objective of observing this day is to draw attention to the abuse faced by older individuals, raise awareness among people, and make efforts to prevent it.
– The United Nations General Assembly officially recognized the observance of “World Elder Abuse Awareness Day” in December 2011, following a request from the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse.