This is the current affairs of 13th April 2023 Current Affairs, which will help you in your competitive exams.
PDF Download: Click here
1. In which country the first overseas campus of Indian University opened?
Answer: c. Uganda
2. Which Indian University opened its first overseas campus in Uganda?
b. IIT Delhi
c. IIT Bombay
Answer: a. NFSU (National Forensic Science University)
– National Forensic Science University (NFSU) is located in the capital city of Gujarat, Gandhinagar.
– It was established in the year 2008, and later in 2020, it received the status of a central university.
– This institution has been declared as a ‘National Importance’ by the government.
– This university comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Campus established in Uganda
– Its foreign campus is established in Jinja, Uganda.
– The inauguration ceremony of this campus was held on 12th April 2023.
– During this event, the Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar said – “Today is a proud day for India and Uganda.”
– Jaishankar further mentioned that this is India’s first government university that has established a campus abroad.
– The Foreign Minister also said that NFSU is an institution of national importance and it is the world’s first university to provide a complete education in forensic science.
– The Foreign Minister is on a trip to two African countries, Uganda and Mozambique, from 10th to 15th April.
– President: Yoweri Museveni
– Prime Minister: Robinah Nabbanja
– Capital: Kampala
– Currency: Ugandan Shilling
3. Under which river did the country’s first underwater train run?
Answer: d. Hooghly
– For the first time in India, an underwater train ran on April 12, 2023.
– This train traveled from Kolkata to Haldia, passing under the Hooghly River in West Bengal.
– The GM of Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC), P. Uday Kumar Reddy, traveled on this train from Mahakaran to Haldia Maidan.
– This was a trial run of the metro train.
– The track of this underwater train, built in the twin tunnels under the Hooghly River, is 4.8 kilometers long, with a diameter of 520 meters.
Engine to run on battery
– Trains from Siyaldeh to Esplanade will be run on battery engines, as electrification has not been done on the tracks.
– The train will run regularly in the coming months. India will also be included in the list of countries where metro trains run under water.
– Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) is waiting for the completion of the 2.5-kilometer track between Siyaldeh and Esplanade before starting regular trains.
Metro to run on the London-Paris model
– India’s first underwater metro train is being run on the London-Paris model.
4. In which neighboring country, the army there bombed the crowd on 11 April 2023, killing more than 100 people?
d. Sri Lanka
Answer: c. Myanmar
– There has been military rule in Myanmar for more than two years.
– The common people are protesting against it. The army is crushing them.
On April 11, 2023, Myanmar’s military dropped bombs from fighter jets and fired continuously for 20 minutes from helicopters.
– According to news agency ANI, over 100 people died in the attack. Dozens of women and children were among them.
– The incident took place in the town of Paji Gee in the Sagaing region.
It is 260 km away from Myanmar’s capital Naypyitaw.
The army carried out the attack when the People’s Defense Forces (PDF) were opening their office in Paji Gee city.
– In fact, the PDF is running a campaign against the military in the country. More than 300 people were present there during the attack.
UN says it’s shocking
– The United Nations has condemned the attack carried out by the army.
– UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Turk, said the report of the airstrikes is disturbing.
– He said it seems that when the helicopter dropped the bombs, many school children were dancing in a hall.
– Army Chief Min Aung Hlaing staged a military coup on February 1, 2021.
– The country’s leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, and president were jailed.
– Capital – Naypyitaw
– Currency – Kyat
– Language – Burmese
5. India’s oldest billionaire Keshab Mahindra passed away on 12th April 2023, He was the honorary chairman of which industrial group?
a. Tata Sons
b. Mahindra & Mahindra
d. Vedanta Resources
Answer: b. Mahindra & Mahindra
– He passed away at the age of 99.
– He was the chairman of the Mahindra & Mahindra Group from 1963 to 2012 (for about 48 years).
– During their almost 5-decade-long tenure, Keshub Mahindra not only established the Mahindra Group as a big company in the country but also in the whole world.
– Currently, their nephew Anand Mahindra holds this position.
6. When was the 104th anniversary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre observed?
a. 12 April
b. 13 April
c. 14 April
d. 15 April
Answer: b. 13 April
– We are observing the 104th anniversary of that terror incident in the year 2023.
– This massacre had shaken the entire country.
– On April 13, 1919, a large number of people had gathered in Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar, Punjab.
General Dyer had imposed a curfew on that day.
– He ordered the soldiers to open fire when he reached there.
– There were around 25,000 people present during the firing. There was only one way out from there, where bullets were raining down.
7. When is World Chagas Disease Day observed?
a. 12 April
b. 15 April
c. 16 April
d. 17 April
Answer: a. 14 April
– This day was declared in the year 2019 by the World Health Assembly.
– This disease is also known as American Trypanosomiasis.
– This disease occurs when the parasite named Trypanosome enters the body.
– The parasite can enter the human body through the bite of a bug.
– It causes fever and can also lead to the death of people.
– Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
– Director-General: Tedros Adhanom.
8. When is Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated?
a. 14 April
b. 15 April
c. 16 April
d. 17 April
Answer: a. 14 April
– On this day, April 14th, 1891, Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was born.
– This day is also known as Bhim Jayanti.
– Ambedkar was the chairman of the Drafting Committee of the Indian Constitution. Later, he became the country’s first law minister.
– Since childhood, he endured the oppression and discrimination faced by Dalits and spoke out against it.
– He was posthumously awarded India’s highest civilian honor, the Bharat Ratna, in 1990.
9. What was the retail inflation rate in India in March 2023?
Answer: a. 5.66%
Who released the report on inflation?
– The National Statistical Office (NSO) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) released this data on April 12, 2023.
– In the previous month, the inflation rate remained below 15 months.
– The inflation rate decreases mainly due to the cheapening of food items. – It was 6.44 percent in February 2023.
How is inflation calculated?
– Inflation is calculated from the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
– There are different categories in this index.
– The three main categories of this index are Food Items, Fuel & Light, and Core Sector [other major items].
– The index comprises of Food Items (46%), Fuel & Light (7%), and Core (47%).
10. Which power company started power supply in Bangladesh?
a. Reliance Power
b. Adani Power
c. Tata Power
Answer: b. Adani Power
– Adani Power Limited has established a new power plant in Godda, Jharkhand.
– This modern power plant has a capacity of 1,600 megawatts.
– This has started the supply of electricity to Bangladesh.