This is the current affairs of 12th April 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Home Minister Amit Shah launched the ‘Vibrant Village Programme’ in Kibithu village of which state?
c. Arunachal Pradesh
d. Himachal Pradesh
Answer: c. Arunachal Pradesh
– Kibithu village is located near the India-China border (LAC) in Arunachal Pradesh.
– Home Minister Amit Shah launched the ‘Vibrant Village Program’ in this village on April 7, 2023.
– The aim of this program is to bring about comprehensive development in rural areas and transform them into self-sufficient and prosperous communities.
– This village is located near the India-China border (LAC).
Its altitude from sea level is 9,000 feet.
– It is the easternmost village in India and is considered as a gateway to the sunrise and to the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
– Basic facilities such as electricity, healthcare, and proper roads are not available in this village, which makes life difficult for the people.
– China objected to the Home Minister’s visit to Kibithu. The Chinese Foreign Ministry said, “Jangnan (the Chinese name for Arunachal Pradesh) is a part of China’s territory.”
– After this, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said that Arunachal Pradesh was, is, and will always be an integral part of India.
‘Vibrant Village Program’
– This program will run in 19 districts and 46 border blocks of four states (Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh) and one union territory (Ladakh).
– This will strengthen the livelihood opportunities and basic infrastructure of the people here.
– In the first phase of this program, 663 villages will be included.
– Budget: INR 4800 crore (including INR 2500 crore for road construction)
– Program duration: from the financial year 2022-23 to 2025-26
– It will focus on weather-resistant roads, water supply, 24-hour solar and wind energy supply, mobile and internet connectivity, tourist centers, national centers, and health and wellness centers.
Why is this plan important?
– In fact, the challenge is from China.
China is constantly building villages in its border areas. It is building storage for ammunition and weapons for PLA (People’s Liberation Army) in the name of these villages.
– On the other hand, the Indian border areas are seeing an increase in migration from villages.
– Villages are becoming empty. Although the news comes in newspapers, it gets lost in the digital age.
– Due to a lack of employment opportunities, border villages are becoming deserted.
In such a situation, the central government has launched this program.
– CM – Pema Khandu
– Governor – Kaivalya Trivikram Parnaik
– Capital – Itanagar
2. Giving a strong message to China, where has India decided to hold the Youth-G20 meeting?
Answer: a. Leh
– The Youth-20 summit or Y-20 meeting will be held in Leh (Ladakh) from 26 to 28 April.
– Nearly 80 representatives from almost every G-20 country will participate in this.
– China had earlier refused to attend a G-20 meeting in Arunachal Pradesh.
– It is believed that China will also stay away from the Youth-G20 meeting being held in Leh.
– Pakistan has once again expressed objections to holding meetings in Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. It is not invited to this meeting.
– A G-20 tourism meeting will also be held in Srinagar from 22 to 24 May.
– Lieutenant Governor – BD Mishra
3. India has launched the ‘International Big Cat Alliance’ (IBCA) to protect which wildlife?
a. Tiger, Lion, Leopard, Snow Leopard
b. Cheetah, Jaguar and Puma
c. Lion, Leopard, Tiger, Cheetah, Deer
d. a and b
Answer: d. a and b (Tiger, Lion, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Cheetah, Jaguar and Puma)
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the “International Big Cat Alliance” (IBCA) under India’s leadership for the protection of seven big cat species.
– The announcement was made by PM Narendra Modi on April 9, 2023, in Mysore (Karnataka). This day marked the completion of 50 years of Project Tiger in India.
– IBCA will be a mega global alliance aimed at protecting the seven big cat species, which include tigers, lions, leopards, snow leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, and pumas.
– India proposed this alliance because of its extensive experience in the conservation of big cat species like tigers, lions, snow leopards, and others.
– India is the only country in the world where tigers, lions, leopards, snow leopards, and cheetahs are found in the wild, except for jaguars and pumas.
– India has pledged support for IBCA over the next five years with a guaranteed sum of $100 million (more than 800 crore rupees).
– Its major activities will include specialist groups, eco-tourism, capacity building, knowledge e-portal, partnerships, the Himalayas, and financial mobilization.
Purpose of the Alliance:
– The objective of the alliance is to protect big cats and stop illegal trade of these animals.
– It aims to provide a platform for raising awareness about conservation of wildlife, research and development, resource management, capacity building, benchmark practices, etc.
Countries eligible for membership:
– Membership of the alliance will be open to 97 ‘range’ countries, including the natural habitat of these big cats, as well as other interested nations, international organizations, etc.
– Governance structure: there will be a General – Assembly for a term of 5 years and a Secretariat.
– All member countries will be included in this General Assembly.
– The Council will be composed of a minimum of seven but no more than fifteen member countries elected by the General Assembly.
Countries that have supported the alliance:
– When Prime Minister Modi announced this alliance, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Kenya, Nepal, Ethiopia, and the Regent of Pahang supported this initiative.
– In addition, ministers and delegations from Suriname, Armenia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos also praised this initiative.
Central Environment and Forest Minister: Bhupender Yadav.
4. Union Law Minister released the first ‘Dogri version’ of the Indian Constitution, Dogri is a spoken language in which union territory?
b. Jammu and Kashmir
d. Andaman Nicobar
Answer: b. Jammu and Kashmir
– Union Minister of Law, Justice, and Parliamentary Affairs, Kiran Rijiju, released the Dogri version of the – Indian Constitution at the University of Jammu in April 2023.
– It is one of the official languages of Jammu and Kashmir.
– Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir – Manoj Sinha
5. Aircraft carrier INS Vikrant to get decades-old bell back in April 2023, when was it first installed?
Answer: b. 1961
About the Bell:
– The bell was installed on the old INS Vikrant in 1961.
– At that time, India had purchased the British-origin aircraft carrier HMS Hercules and renamed it as INS Vikrant.
– The bell remained in use until 1997.
– It was a part of the Indian Navy for 36 years.
– It was later removed and kept safe at the home of the Navy’s Vice Chief.
Role of the Bell on INS Vikrant:
– Navy officers have said that the bell played an important role on warships.
– It helps sailors to give signals during emergency situations.
– The bell installed on the old INS Vikrant was helpful in the 1971 war with Pakistan.
– However, technology has advanced significantly, and the importance of this bell is now symbolic because the new INS Vikrant has a modern alarm system.
6. Which Indian company has won the ‘Best Product/Process Development’ award at the World Vaccine Congress 2023?
c. Bharat Biotech
d. Sun Pharma
Answer: c. Bharat Biotech
– The World Vaccine Congress was held in Washington (USA) from 3-6 April.
– At this congress, Bharat Biotech was awarded the Vaccine Industry Excellence Award. The award was in the category of ‘Best Production/Process Development’.
About Bharat Biotech:
– Bharat Biotech is the world’s first company to produce the Transejal COVID-19 vaccine, iNcovacc.
– In January 2023, it launched the Intranjal vaccine, iNCOVACC.
– Founded: 1996
– Headquarters: Hyderabad.
7. Which country has been ranked as the least free country in the world according to the Freedom House Index?
Answer: c. Tibet
– Global watchdog Freedom House released its Freedom in the World Index for the year 2023 in March 2023.
– It ranks Tibet as the world’s second-least free country after Syria and South Sudan, for the third consecutive year.
– The Tibetan people do not even have basic human rights.
– The United Nations committee said in its third periodic review report, released on March 6, 2023, that there is an urgent need for the international community to take serious and immediate action on many human rights issues affecting the Tibetan people.
– The Communist Party of China is working hard to sinicize Tibet, including destroying Buddhism and culture there.
– For centuries, Tibet was India’s true neighbor, as most of India’s borders are with the Tibetan autonomous region, not with the rest of China.
China took control of Tibet in 1951.
– This region is famous as the roof of the world.
People who follow Buddhism are more prevalent here.
– Tibet is classified as an autonomous region in China.
– The Dalai Lama is a famous religious leader here.
Tibet shares borders with India, China, Afghanistan, and Burma.
India’s Position on the Tibet Autonomous Region
– During a statement made by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on his trip to China in 1988, it was said that Tibet is an autonomous region of China.
– Later in June 2003, during former Prime Minister – Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s trip to China, a joint statement was signed in which India acknowledged that “Tibet is a part of the People’s Republic of China as an autonomous region.”
8. When is the International Day of Human Space Flight celebrated?
a. 11th April
b. 12th April
c. 13th April
d. 14th April
Answer: b. 12th April
– On this day, April 12, 1961, Soviet citizen Yuri Gagarin took the first human space flight.
– He became the first person to travel into space.
– The United Nations has declared this day as International Day of Human Space Flight.
9. Maharashtra government has announced to celebrate whose birth anniversary as ‘Swatantra Veer Gaurav Diwas’?
a. Atal Bihar Vajpayee
b. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee
c. VD Savarkar
d. KB Hedgewar
Answer: c. VD Savarkar
– Veer Savarkar’s birthday is celebrated on May 28th.
– Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde has declared this day as ‘Swatantra Veer Gaurav Diwas’ (Independent Brave Pride Day) to be celebrated.
10. In which state did the law banning online gambling come into force?
c. Tamil Nadu
Answer: c. Tamil Nadu
– Tamil Nadu Governor RN Ravi has given his approval to the bill related to the ban on online gambling in April 2023.
– Earlier, the Governor had returned the bill for reconsideration.
– However, in March 2023, the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly had unanimously passed the bill again.
– CM – MK Stalin
– Governor – RN Ravi
– Capital – Chennai