This is the current affairs of 30th April & 1 May 2023. Here are 10 questions and answers of daily current affairs for better preparation of competitive exams for government jobs.
PDF Download: Click here
1. Which space agency successfully conducted the experiment to extract oxygen from the lunar soil?
Answer: b. NASA
– NASA publicly announced information about this successful experiment in April 2023.
– Scientists at NASA’s Johnson Space Center have successfully extracted oxygen from simulated lunar soil.
– The lunar soil consists of fine particles that cover the surface of the moon.
– For the first time, oxygen has been extracted from lunar soil in an export environment.
– The amount of oxygen produced is sufficient to fulfill the one-day oxygen needs of space travelers present on the surface of the moon.
– It can also help with the use of other resources available there.
– This is known as In-Situ Resource Utilization.
Research for the Artemis Mission
– NASA is preparing to send space travelers to the moon through its Artemis mission.
– The real purpose of this mission is to establish a long-term presence on the surface of the moon.
– The production of oxygen is the most essential task for this mission.
– Oxygen can be used not only for breathing but also as propellant for transportation.
– This will help space travelers to stay and progress on the moon for a longer duration.
How oxygen was made from lunar soil
– NASA’s Carbothermal Reduction Demonstration (CARD) team created conditions similar to those found on the Moon using a special 15-foot circular chamber called the Dirty Thermal Vacuum Chamber.
– It is called a dirty chamber because it can be used to test impure samples.
– The environment inside the chamber is similar to that of the moon.
– The team used a high-power laser to simulate heat using a solar energy concentrator and melted the lunar soil inside a carbon thermal reactor developed by NASA’s Sierra Space Corporation.
– A carbon thermal reactor is a place where the process of heating and extracting oxygen takes place.
– After this process, scientists were able to obtain oxygen.
2. Telecom companies started the system to stop spam calls from May 1 with the help of which of the following?
b. radio signal
c. AI (Artificial Intelligence)
d. none of these
Answer: c. AI (Artificial Intelligence)
– To stop spam calls, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had given a deadline of April 30 to companies.
– Starting from May 1, 2023, the country’s three major network service providers, Jio, Airtel, and Vodafone-Idea, have installed filters in their systems to stop spam calls.
– The companies claim that with the help of AI, spam messages and calls will be blocked on the network itself.
– The trial runs of the companies have been successful.
– In simple words, until now, we would know if it was a spam call after receiving it. Then we would block it. Now it will be blocked on the network itself and the call will not reach us.
Before this, there was also the DND (Do Not Disturb) service.
– TRI had also launched the DND (Do Not Disturb) service earlier.
– Even after taking this service from companies, spam calls and messages continued to come to consumers.
– However, there was a significant reduction in their numbers.
Will spam be completely stopped?
– Technical errors are possible, but it can be eliminated.
– It is certain that there will be a reduction of up to 90% in spam calls or messages.
TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India)
– Establishment: February 20, 1997
– Headquarters: New Delhi
– Chairman: PD Vaghela
3. Tiger has been seen after 110 years in Kalesar National Park of which state of India?
a. Himachal Pradesh
d. Uttar Pradesh
Answer: b. Haryana
– According to The Indian Express, the national animal tiger has been spotted in Haryana’s Kalesar National Park (Yamuna Nagar).
– The tiger was captured in camera traps near the Gugga Fire Line in the 11,570-acre park in the foothills of the Shivalik Range on April 18 and 19.
– This is the first evidence of the presence of tigers in Haryana since 1913.
– Kalesar National Park shares a corridor with Simbalbara National Park in Himachal Pradesh and Rajaji National Park in Uttarakhand.
– Kalesar National Park was established in 2003. The park is home to a species of large cat called the leopard cat.
– Haryana Forest Minister: Kanwar Pal Gujjar
– In February of this year, a tiger was also caught in a camera trap in the Simbalbara National Park (Himachal Pradesh). This was also the first sighting there.
4. When is International Workers’ Day or May Day celebrated?
a. 1 May
b. 2 May
c. 3 May
d. 4 May
Answer: a. 1 May
– This day is celebrated in memory of the first Labor Day celebrations held between 1880 and 1890 to honor the achievements of workers and remember their contributions.
– The main purpose of celebrating this day is to respect the accomplishments of the workers and to remember their contributions.
5. When is world veterinary day celebrated?
a. first saturday of april
b. second saturday of april
c. third saturday of april
d. last saturday of april
Answer: d. last saturday of april
– In the year 2023, this day was celebrated on 29 April.
– Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness in the veterinary profession
– Its objective is to promote animal health and welfare and public health.
6. When is International Dance Day celebrated?
a. 25 April
b. 27 April
c. 28 April
d. 29 April
Answer: d. 29 April
– The value and importance of dance are celebrated.
7. Who became the new Global CEO of Vodafone?
a. Vijay Pandey
b. margherita della valle
c. Anant Maheshwari
d. Hari Har Mishra
Answer: b. margherita della valle
– Vodafone appointed Margherita Della Valle as its permanent CEO on April 27, 2023.
– She has been the Chief Financial Officer since 2018.
– Vodafone is a British company with operations in Asia, Europe, and Africa.
– In India, Vodafone operates as Vi, a joint venture with Idea.
8. Dr N Gopalakrishnan passed away on 27 April 2023, who was he?
Answer: a. Scientist
– He passed away in Kochi due to heart-related illnesses.
– He was the founder of the Indian Institute of Scientific Heritage (IISH).
– He was also a former scientist at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
– He wrote a book titled “Indian Philosophy and Ishvara” (God’s plan).
9. When is World Tuna Day celebrated?
a. 1 May
b. 2 May
c. 3 May
d. 4 May
Answer: b. 2 May
– This day has been declared by the United Nations.
– So that awareness can be raised about the fish called tuna.
– Tuna is an important source of food for humans because tuna fish contains omega-3, vitamin B12, protein and many other nutrients such as rich minerals.
10. In which union territory ‘NAMO Medical Education and Research Institute’ was established, which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
c. Andaman Nicobar
d. Dadra, Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
Answer: d. Dadra, Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
– The institute has been developed under the Ministry of Health.
– It was built at a cost of 203 crores.
– The foundation for the project was laid in January 2019.
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated it on April 25, 2023.
Dadra, Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu
– Headquarters: Silvassa
– Administrator – Praveen Patel.